Home U.S. Coin Forum

Am I crazy, or is this Bust quarter undergraded?

I understand that sometimes bust material misses the AU designation because of lack of mint luster...but this one looks like an AU to me as far as details goes, what do you think? On Ebay

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that you answered your own question, yes the details are AU+ but from those pics I see no luster so if anything its overgraded.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The coin appears to lack the luster to be graded

in the AU range. I believe that it is correctly graded.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    If I was shooting for an XF set...those are the XF's I would be working for. AU'S at XF prices (so it is missing some luster...how about half price!image)
  • Undergraded maybe... Overpriced? Yea!
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    maybe if i were the submitter i`d have felt alittle slyted
    i bet the coin in hand does say `AU` on an average day even..
  • VERY nicely struck, if i was a bust quarter guy, id be all over it. not long ago it was completely "ok" to clean old coins. this one looks like a victim of that era, tough to find a bust quarter with any luster that isnt in MS plastic.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, it is a nice XF. It does not have the eye appeal for AU, and the obverse field marks keep it from AU.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
    The mark on the face is too prominent and distracting for AU.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU details but probably net graded because of the rim nicks.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AU details but probably net graded because of the rim nicks. >>

My thoughts exactly.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    JMHO, but if anything I think it's graded liberally.
    I've gone back and looked at this quarter several times. I have to agree with robertpr "liberally" sums it up.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I don't know you well enough to discuss your mental health, but you're here so what does that say for you image

As for the coin, I don't see AU detail in those images.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a solid XF to me. Not close to AU IMHO, but again you have to have the coin in hand. I do not think it would get a magic bean, but then I am not in the bean business.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    The surfaces look funky to me...the detail is nice, but the obv color doesn't look right to these eyes. I'd pass.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I would guess silent net grade.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I agree with funky surfaces, lack of luster, and net graded for some marks and rim tics, but I think AU details all day long! (respectfully)

It is kind of overpriced for an XF, I agree.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned and re-toned. I know most of these are, but this one has too many hairlines for my taste, and who knows how many more there are that are not showing up in the image.
  • It would be a very weak AU. The coin started out exceptionally well struck (which is why it is so detailed), but it has a fair amount of legitimate wear.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I agree with PCGS grade. To me, the coin is certainly not up to PCGS 50 standards, for a number of reasons already stated.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file