Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Which of the two choices do you believe leads to more coins being dipped??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    good question.... and both answer you list are very correct...

as for me, I love toning, but if it is ugly and distracting and yet the coin is solid underneath, it must receive a bath, as many a Frankie has, some of these have drab fugly toning, and yet a gem of a coin hiding underneath... There is a place for dipping IMO, but for the most part, I don't like it and like the original skin baby...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first started buying coins the dealer I did the most business with was a dipaholic. Good thing I couldn't afford BU back then. I mostly collected VG to XF. The dealer is long ago out of business. That is one of the reasons I am so anti cleaning.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say choice #2 leads to choice #1. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I have a small problem with the question.

How can I, as a collector, know how many coins dealers have dipped? I've heard stories. But I have few data points.
    I'm not a dealer. I'm not part of that network.
    Even reading the forums here, I can only count a few threads where a dipped coin shows up on Heritage that used to be a toned coin.
    As a dealer, don't you risk your reputation by doing this? Coloring a coin...uncoloring a coin...it's viewed with suspicion.

I do know that I have dipped coins (ASEs, not really coins) that I have either stored poorly, or have purchased from someone else who stored them poorly.
    And i've dipped spouse medals fresh from the mint to eliminate the dark spots.
    And the there is the time I dipped the three worst raw eBay morgans I had. Previously doctored by someone playing chemist. Terrible results, but no damage done.

So, I think that the vast majority of dipping going on is to correct tarnish due to poor storage.

Although I may be wrong here, I must answer based on my experience.

• Options
    this question goes hand-in-hand with one i posed a while back about what series suffers the most from PVC contamination. i'd have to say Peace Dollars and i'm continually reminded that storage issues remain a problem despite the fact that collectors/dealers should know better. just today i removed about 150 ASE's from flips and many have PVC, simply unforgivable considering they had been marketed by CW advertisers. there's absolutely no reason in the present day to be using PVC flips and/or storing coins in a way that allows preventable damage..........................yet it happens routinely.
  • Options
    great question! had to think about this for a while...
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file