Home Sports Talk
Options

Why do pitchers "rub up" a baseball? (serious question)

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why do pitchers rub up a baseball? Is it to get the sweat off of their hands?

I know, this has to be the post of the year! image

Shane

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to get a better grip.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    just trying to rough up the ball a bit, maybe as much psychological as anything else...
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    When balls first come in from the factory, they are shiny and slick. The ball boys will dirty them up a bit and then it's up to the pitcher to clean or dirty some more.

Long story short: squeaky clean = bad grip without any friction. A tad roughed up = great grip
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    A lot of teams use this:

baseball mud
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I coach 12 under baseball. Whenever I give the pitcher a new ball, I tell him to ruff it up so he can grip it better. As somebody said, they come out of the box smooth and shiney. This smooth and shiney doesn't do much for the pitcher's grip.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Pitcher like to play with balls, its that simple.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    "Pitcher like to play with balls, its that simple."

CrimsonTider,
    You aren't right! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Just saw the Smoltz highlights, never heard a pitcher complain about that before...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Shane, obviously you've never held a new baseball. LOL!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    They're putting Crisco or Vagisil on the ball while they're rubbing it. Or if the ump's watching them really close, they'll rub a little jalapeno in their nose to get it running.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw the Smoltz highlights, never heard a pitcher complain about that before... >>

Ironically, my post had absolutely nothing to do with the Smoltz comments.

Shane

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Pitchers usually don't complain because they're allowed to rub the ball up to build up a little grip. Try handling a baseball that's fresh from the box. They're usually kinda slick. Hold like you're gonna throw a pitch and see how it feels in your hands. Now rub it up like the pitchers do and then see how it feels. Doing so improves your grip on the ball and lets you control it better when it's about to leave your hand during a pitch. It also warms the ball up a little, but I don't know how much that matters.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I asked my son tonight why he rubs a new baseball. He said it feels like it has wax on it and he wants to get to the leather so he can grip it better.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that ALL Major League balls are rubbed up with the Delaware Mud by the umpires before the game. Oft times, pitchers will rub the ball up to ensure that they get the feel and the grip that they want. Back in the early 1970's there was a pitcher, although I cannot recall who, that used to have his catcher rub up the ball because he claimed he would get blisters.

On another note, watch the Yankees when Sabathia pitches and you will notice that he has two quirks. One, he will never catch a ball thrown from an infielder after an out in his glove. He will always use his bare hand. Second, he will never accept a ball thrown by the umpire. He insists that any ball put into play after a foul be given to his catcher to return to him. I remember one game a few years back when he was with Cleveland when the umpire threw the ball to C.C. and he let it go past him and it rolled past second base and into short centerfield.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Why do pitchers rub up a baseball? >>

Because none of the female fans volunteer!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.