Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If PCGS has an MS67 "assumed grade" in the registry set but DNC at MS66 should they remo

Opinions
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

LIKE I SAID BIG BOY ...... BJ TOLD ME PCGS WILL BE REVAMPING ALL THE ELIASBERG GRADES AS WELL AS OTHER FAMOUS COLLECTIONS

STEWART
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Well here is the first coin, I already emailed the result to him

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LIKE I SAID BIG BOY ...... BJ TOLD ME PCGS WILL BE REVAMPING ALL THE ELIASBERG GRADES AS WELL AS OTHER FAMOUS COLLECTIONS

STEWART >>

Revamping to what?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    1 oe 3 both work equally for me.
    But regarding the ?, I'd go for #3
  • Options

<< <i>Well here is the first coin, I already emailed the result to him >>

image Hopefully you don't mean BJ lol
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJ is a woman image

Getting my post in before this thread is NUKED image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Where would you get the idea that the estimated grades in these all time sets would somehow be binding on PCGS?

I gave the example in another thread of a 1783 Nova Constellatio colonial ex-Garrett which PCGS estimated as a 63 for years, while all along the coin was actually in a PCGS 64 holder.

Eventually they caught that and changed the estimated grade in the Garrett all-time set to a PCGS actual grade of 64. They did not change the slab grade to 63.

• Options
    just one option, if the grade is being used for competition purposes, it came from somewhere.

• Options
    I see 3 votes for leaving the coins as assumed grades, I am wondering why?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What the heck does DNC mean already? >>

Did Not Cross(over).
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    You left out the only option that is logical, that PCGS should use estimated grades until such time as they actually grade the coin in question. Then once they do, they should change the estimated grade to the actual grade that they themselves have determined with their own eyes.

And, in my experience, this is exactly how they actually do it.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    You left out the only option that is logical, that PCGS should use estimated grades until such time as they actually grade the coin in question.

Assuming they ever get to actually grade the coin(s).

So, in this instance, PCGS estimates a coin as being PM67, and everyone has to compete/compare with that grade.
    Someone sends in ta coin listed in one of these 'classic' sets in another TPG's holder at MS66 and PCGS won't cross....in essence stating that the coin is an MS65 at best.

So the next logical question is will they list the coin at 65, or less if they think it was lower?

Does PCGS state why it did not cross?
    What if there was a problem with the coin!?
    Will they list the coin as N1????

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    It could be that the coin was assumed to be MS67, but the coin has been messed with since he owned, causing a downgrade?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong. The coin in question resides in a NGC holder that was graded MS66. Someone tried to cross the coin into a PCGS MS66 holder and it failed. And 3, before the coin was holdered by NGC, the coin was raw with an assumed grade of MS67 by PCGS for a registry set.
    Now that the coin DNC, the question is, should the entire set be removed from the registry and my question is; WHY? Because it's not 100% complete? Of course, an incomplete set would not qualify as an all-time greatest set when there is another set that is !00% complete. Why not just drop the set a couple of places with it's lower (cough, cough, assumed) GPA?

Remember the infamous 1960-D PCGS MS64FS Jefferson nickel that was taken out of the game/market. The registry still shows that two Jefferson nickel collections were 100% completed with this same coin, a coin that is, "no more", nada, it was downgraded to MS64, it was not a full step coin because there were flaws in the steps. But there are many nickels that have been certified in high grade and with full steps that are not high grade or have full steps. They don't even deserve a home in a mason jar but yet there they set undeservingly in registry sets owned by collectors who wouldn't know a high quality coin if it ran up and bit them in the butt. What are those people so proud of?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I think they should yank these theoretically graded sets, if this isn't a clear argument for it then I don't know what is.

So they say this coin should be a 67, but when they see it in hand they won't even give it a 66, then this lends absolutely NO credibility to ANY of the grades in these historical sets whatsoever. And I think that this in effect questions the credibility of the registry itself, think about it, PCGS is known for having high standards, but in this case it shows damning evidence that these are fantasy grades.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file