Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover success.... and failure. Indian Head Avatar Coin

Interesting study between grading services. With what feels like balls of ice cold steel I have submitted over 80 toned coins to PCGS.

I just checked online and they graded my two regular submission crossovers in just twelve days. My avatar was in an NGC 66RB holder and I've had it since the late 90's. It crossed into a PCGS 65BN holder.

I'm reservedly excited.... Very Very excited that a coin with big color into a PCGS holder at a time when PCGS is impossible. Even though I predicted a 65BN and that was my crossover minimum grade, I was secretly hoping for a 66BN (my favorite grading designation) or 66RB my second favorite. I predicted that the spot in the field below N of Cent would cause them to average the coin down to a brown, even though it's a strong 66RB with booming luster, great color, and one single tiny tick on the cheek of liberty, no others on the entire coin.

I was willing to take the hit on grade in order to get the best opinion on NT color in the marketplace, and get it into a PCGS holder.

The sad thing is that my 12-S did not cross. Hard to photograph but one of the most beautiful two-sided green toners I know, big luster and spooky. I don't know whether they were unsure of the color or if they thought it was a 63BN. I've had that coin since the mid-90's.

"Am I a fool" for wanting to cross?
Jeff

I'd like my copper well done please!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file