Home U.S. Coin Forum

Now that I'm a Collectors' club member, it's interesting to see Shared Order statuses

I'm thinking this won't go under the "successful" submissions column for the submitter.

Link To Submission

I'm not sure that I should cut and paste the results for non members. Is that unethical? Is it unethical for me to even post this link?

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible the submitter may have known the coins were cleaned but sent them anyway to get them in Genuine holders to enhace their saleablility. You don't have to use ANACS for that purpose any more.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I just wish I owned that much gold
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Line # Item # XYHXYBlah CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 X 1880-O $10 US Genuine (92 - Cleaned)
    2 1 Y 1892-O $10 US MS61
    3 1 Y 1900 $10 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    4 1 Y 1901 $10 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    4 2 N 1901 $10 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    5 1 Y 1905 $10 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    6 1 N 1907 $10 Liberty US MS63
    7 1 Y 1907 $10 No Motto US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    8 1 Y 1910 $10 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    9 1 Y 1860 $20 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    10 1 N 1871 $20 US AU55
    11 1 O 1900-S $20 US Genuine (91 - Questionable Color)
    12 1 I 1904-S $20 US MS63
    12 2 P 1904-S $20 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    13 1 L 1908-D $20 No Motto US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    14 1 M 1911-S $20 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    15 1 Q 1922-S $20 US AU58
    16 1 M 1924 $20 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    17 1 < 1926-S $20 US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)
    18 1 N 1927 $20 US MS64

chaching!
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is possible the submitter may have known the coins were cleaned but sent them anyway to get them in Genuine holders to enhace their saleablility. You don't have to use ANACS for that purpose any more. >>

While that's possible, I imagine a more likely scenario is that the didn't buy the book first. A painful lesson.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

<< <i>

<< <i>It is possible the submitter may have known the coins were cleaned but sent them anyway to get them in Genuine holders to enhace their saleablility. You don't have to use ANACS for that purpose any more. >>

While that's possible, I imagine a more likely scenario is that the didn't buy the book first. A painful lesson. >>

Yes, it could be someone's "treasures" picked off ebay, full of hairlines.

I've seen worse submissions -- I have seen modern submissions that look like they just pulled coins out of their pocket and sent them to PCGS. image
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Questionable color on a gold coin? That's a new one...
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Whew. A little less than one in three coins graded on that submission.

I, too, am curious about the questionable color gold coin. I've seen a few. Specifically, at the Santa Clara show, there was a raw $10 indian. About a quarter of the coin was a dark indigo spot, fading to red at the edges. Bizarre.
    Here is $84 + postage in grading fees spent on a $6 proof set:

Link

Total value after certification: About $6

• << <i>Here is $84 + postage in grading fees spent on a $6 proof set:

Link

Total value after certification: About $6 >>

Just because it doesn't hold a lot of value, doesn't mean it's a waste of money to someone. 1974 could be a special year to that person and money wasn't an object, to make a set like that. I'm not saying you are wrong, but to assume such a narrow idea is well, you know.

Am I dumb for sending in a 1967 Canadian set with the $20 gold coin also to NGC for certification? All I did it for, is because my daughter loves the coins, and I thought it would be special to have them all together with the gold be "certified". Guess you can throw me into the "throw my money away" crowd too.
  • "Altered Surface" for Gold coins seems to be coming up a lot more these days.
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I bet you improve on next shot!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file