Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just so you know, the 1793 1C Strawberry didn't sell

Not sure if anyone was interested in how it turned out... eBay

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A coin that should, 100%, be sitting in a GENUINE holder!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm saddened! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Speaking from a viewpoint totally ignorant of the history and legendary providence of that coin:

That is one ugly coin for a third of a million dollars.

I will never fully comprehend the upper end of the coin market. It is because I have to work hard to earn money. I thus assign a high value to money.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Not to change the subject too much, but i just sent in my 1794 1c that, IMO, looks in better condition than that coin.....wonder if mine will be a no problem coin?
    Actually, I don't wonder. image
  • Options

<< <i>A coin that should, 100%, be sitting in a GENUINE holder! >>

Does it really matter?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Does it really matter? >>

To those who wish PCGS would be consistent and not give the benefit of the doubt to rarer coins, yes.

To those who buy coins not slabs, no.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting a $369000 coin to sell on eBay, although eBay might be used as a way to advertise the coin... the FVF on a coin like that would be thousands of dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

To those who wish PCGS would be consistent and not give the benefit of the doubt to rarer coins, yes.

image >>

I am in the camp who believes that a great rarity should be cut a little slack.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I am in the camp who believes that a great rarity should be cut a little slack. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I am in the camp who believes that a great rarity should be cut a little slack. >>

image >>

(I just wanted to see how others felt about this, and the only way I saw how was to interject criticism)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all coins within a given series should be graded using the same standards.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am in the camp who believes that a great rarity should be cut a little slack. >>

I was too, at least until the "genuine" holder came along, because a coin of this magnitude still needs authentication. Now that the services will authenticate and slab problem coins, the main justification for "cutting them slack" seems to vanish, at least in my mind.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am in the camp who believes that a great rarity should be cut a little slack. >>

I was too, at least until the "genuine" holder came along, because a coin of this magnitude still needs authentication. Now that the services will authenticate and slab problem coins, the main justification for "cutting them slack" seems to vanish, at least in my mind. >>

Excellent point!image

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Does it matter?"
    No, not at all. In fact, send me the coin and I'll crack it out and resubmit. What'd ya think, does it matter?
  • Options
    Is the seller actually trying to sell this coin on eBay or is he just using eBay to advertise his coin so he can sell it off eBay?

• Options

<< <i>I think all coins within a given series should be graded using the same standards. >>

Bingo.

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think all coins within a given series should be graded using the same standards. >>

Fundamentally I agree with you, but within any given series you can't be 100% black and white, how do you handle some dates that come poorly struck?
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options

<< <i>Is the seller actually trying to sell this coin on eBay or is he just using eBay to advertise his coin so he can sell it off eBay? >>

I think there is one person on the planet who can answer that question.
  • Options

<< <i>

Fundamentally I agree with you, but within any given series you can't be 100% black and white, how do you handle some dates that come poorly struck? >>

Poorly struck is a mint made condition, and should be considered on the final grade (assuming the coin is problem free and deserves to "grade"). For damaged, corroded, cleaned, etc. coins that are post mint, then they should be slabbed in the genuine holders no matter what they are.
  • Options

Variety, it is the very spice of life.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes. Grading is all about consistency. Otherwise, what's the point?
  • Options
    Did anyone notice that he also had a PCGSFR-02 specimen for sale at a higher price?image
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options
    Well IMO !!

I think if you are going to attempt to sell a coin with that type of value attached to it you may want to try spell check and get some help with grammar.
  • Options
    Grading is all about consistency. Otherwise, what's the point?

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes. Grading is all about consistency. Otherwise, what's the point? >>

I think the point is that this is a commercial venture, not a democratic exercise in coin grading.
  • Options

<< <i>Did anyone notice that he also had a PCGSFR-02 specimen for sale at a higher price?image >>

That's becausse the lower grade piece is a rarer variety than the G-4!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Did anyone notice that he also had a PCGSFR-02 specimen for sale at a higher price?image >>

That's becausse the lower grade piece is a rarer variety than the G-4! >>

I thought it was because it's more desirable in a lowball set!
  • Options
    Am I the only one on this board that can see that this is a bogus ad?
    You guys are talking about the coin not the fact that is not a REAL PCGS slab nor that the ad is poorly worded and an obvious fraud.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options

<< <i>Am I the only one on this board that can see that this is a bogus ad?
    You guys are talking about the coin not the fact that is not a REAL PCGS slab nor that the ad is poorly worded and an obvious fraud. >>

Actually, it isn't a bogus ad, and that isn't a bogus slab.
  • Options
    I'll take your word CCU. I know the slabs have recently changed, and another well known seller can't spell spit but this sure smells like a Hong Kong Hoi.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think if you are going to attempt to sell a coin with that type of value attached to it you may want to try spell check and get some help with grammar. >>

It's been shown conclusively that there is zero correlation there...

• Options

<< <i>I'll take your word CCU. I know the slabs have recently changed, and another well known seller can't spell spit but this sure smells like a Hong Kong Hoi. >>

It is perhaps good feedback for the seller!
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    I was going to place a bid, but I couldn't swing the $600 shipping feeimage
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to place a bid, but I couldn't swing the $600 shipping feeimage >>

Yeah, I know -- talk about fee avoidance with inflated shipping.... image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe I missed this one. The shipping was only $600!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't believe I missed this one. The shipping was only $600! >>

They'll probably lose money on the plane ticket they buy to deliver it.

As for the plastic, the more expensive a coin is the less important the plastic. This is consistent with the concept that a TPG opinion make a coins more saleable without in hand inspection or expertise in the series. The more expensive a coin is the more you should have it inspected in hand by an expert. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes. Grading is all about consistency. Otherwise, what's the point? >>

When you have a coin where there's 4 known, grading doesn't mean a thing. All that matters is first, second, third and fourth finest. Mega-rarities get a lot of slack in grading, but their rank remains the same, and that's all that most people pay attention to.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure is one ugly coin, at double the price of my home, I'll pass.
    Who's Dan Holmes anyway?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure is one ugly coin, at double the price of my home, I'll pass.
    Who's Dan Holmes anyway? >>

He was until recently, the president of EAC.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the seller actually trying to sell this coin on eBay or is he just using eBay to advertise his coin so he can sell it off eBay? >>

The latter, IMHO
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes, if grading is to be consistent across the board.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, if grading is to be consistent across the board. >>

I believe the grading of all the Strawberry Leaves is consistent.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, if grading is to be consistent across the board. >>

I believe the grading of all the Strawberry Leaves is consistent. >>

Grading of all large cents should be consistent, IMHO.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the same dealer bought both Strawberry Leaves to flip on spec. Interesting.
  • Options
    Yes it is a true piece of numismatic history. So if one is purchasing based on that, I guess it's what someone is
    willing to pay. Now being that I, like many others, enjoy looking at coins for the beauty they portray, in my opinion, that is one ugly coin..

Positive BST Transactions:

coinsarefun, marmac, LindeDad, andree, robkool, TwoSides2aCoin, waterzooey, agentjim007
    All were A++++ Transactions- Thank you !
  • Options
    When you have a coin where there's 4 known, grading doesn't mean a thing. All that matters is first, second, third and fourth finest. Mega-rarities get a lot of slack in grading, but their rank remains the same, and that's all that most people pay attention to.

Then why send it to PCGS?
    It seems obvious that this is a problem coin.
    Pre-"Genuine', send it off to ANACS to gt net graded; post 'Genuine' the coin should have garnered that designation.

To those that say it does not matter with ultra rarities, it feels to me like you're saying rules don't apply when your 'special'.
    Is that 'really' what you're saying, because the part about "grading doesn't mean a thing" opens the question, why grade at all?
    If collectors of the ultra-rarities know #1, #2, etc. what's the point in grading?

I'm just a little guy here, but it sure feels like slap in the face when I'm basically told I play by one set of rules & all my early coins will come back 'Genuine' because of problems, while those with deep pockets will be excused the indignity of getting such grades because of the rarity. Heaven forbid coins get preferred gradings because of the submitter.

All I ask is for fairness, across the board, whether it be a person or a coin.
    But maybe fairness is too much to ask?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a strawberry. Does it really matter what holder it is in?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had my eye on it, but I refuse to pay $600 shipping, even if it is a Brinks delivery. image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>It's a strawberry. Does it really matter what holder it is in? >>

If it doesn't matter, why not put it in a genuine holder where it belongs?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file