Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In 1976 I was 16...last 2 nights I was again...thanks Felicia... vending box rip

In 1976 I was a 16 year old hormone raging adolescent male. I grew up a New York Sports fan, New York Giants, New York Yankees and yes even the Mets. My dad was a Yankee fan but my grandfather was an old time Mets fan. So I grew up watching both teams though the Yankees were and still are my favorite. In the 70's the Yankees weren't very good but I would still love to go to games with my old man whenever the opportunity arose and see some all time Yankee greats who today aren't recognized as such by other fans/collectors (sort of like that other thread about collecting common players)....

The only reason I bring this up in this "Rip" thread is you will see some Yankees and Met players included in here that you might be wondering why the heck are these guys displayed (some just have fantastic color, shots and centering)... This thread is brought to you by 2Cardguys with the help of our own board member Felicia. She noticed a comment I had posted in another thread about how upset I was that I missed her 1976 eBay auction for a vending box by mere minutes. She was gracious enough to PM me and allow me to buy one anyway. So for that I am truly grateful (Thank You) and as you scan down I think you'll see why
WARNING SOME OF THESE PICS MAY MAKE CAUSE YOU TO LOSE YOUR LAST MEAL.... AND THERE ARE ALOT OF THEM... I MEAN ALOT... SO BE FOREWARNED AND ENJOY

The cards are presented below in numerical order from card 1 to 660 (not that there are 660 pics, it's not that long

this one is fantastic (not that pulling 3 Ecks weren't)

I always loved the "Sporting News subset of this issue even back then ...(I remember Dad saying what those aren't real Ruth, Gehrig's or Cobb's they aren't worth anything don't get all excited)...

a lovely duo

and what better way for an old time Yankee fan to end this thread than with the following 3 rookie cards and "the Captain"

hopefully edited out the grabage...
Positive and successful transactions with:
LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz

Comments

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    <P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o></o></SPAN>

This one's a personal favorite of mine - congrats!
  • Options
    What a great classic image of Ty Cobb rounding the base on that 1976 card. Fantastic!!
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere Tim Berners Lee is laughing at this insanity.

My head is spinning, how many friggin packs did you open?

Nice Carew!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o></o></SPAN>

This one's a personal favorite of mine - congrats! >>

Thanks.... apparently WYSIWYG editor doesn't like my version of word at the office....
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options

<< <i>Somewhere Tim Berners Lee is laughing at this insanity.

My head is spinning, how many friggin packs did you open?

Nice Carew! >>

Thanks...it was a vending box....
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    CONGRATS! Glad you were able to relive some of your childhood thru those cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I enjoyed that too.

Thanks for posting.

cheers
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a bad box. you had some great stars in the box. eck, rose, brett, and aaron i think you did really well. how many doubles did you get in the box.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    those Carews look like STRONG 9's!!!! nice box!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your results. Always nice to see Eckersley rookies.

Charles
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a heckuva box there. Quite a few big hits! Congrats. image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I think your box was searched.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>I think your box was searched. >>

I was thinking the same thing... what no Ryan, Reggie, Yaz; what's up with that? image

<< <i>not a bad box. you had some great stars in the box. eck, rose, brett, and aaron i think you did really well. how many doubles did you get in the box. >>

I got quite a few doubles of some nice cards... doubles on team cards, Eck rookie card caught 3 times; Rod Carew; Willie Randolph RC.... as Felicia said in an earlier post probably about 45-50 were dups... I posted quite a few in the pics...
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool; I've always loved that shot of Jim Palmer
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great box - now I know why mine didn't have any Eck's!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Ah, you posted the Munsons last, understandably. Had me worried though. image

Thansk for sharing, great stuff. image