Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit 1914 D?

Saw this listing on Ebay, and immediately thought altered--then when you read the listing, and view the pictures, the seller explains that even though he has been informed it might be counterfiet, he offers his proof that it is not. I could swear I see remnants of the VDB on the shoulder of the fake, but he claims there is nothing there.

check out auction #250504415458

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LINKY
    Yes, a '44-D altered.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    linky

From the description:

<< <i> I just want to set a few mind's at ease about this coin being genuine. I've received a couple emails stating that this is an altered 1944 D. If you will look at image 3 I have set up a 1914 this 1914-D and a 1944-D for comparison also if you look at image 4 you see the date and mint mark of this 14-D image 5 shows the date and mint mark of a 44-D. In image 6 you can see the initials VDB on Lincolns shoulder of the 44-D. In image 7 which is a picture of this 1914-D you can see there are no initials that's because the initials were not added until 1918. Finally look at image 8 which shows the D mint mark from the 14-D if you look at the inside of the D it is shaped like a triangle on it's side. In image 9 you can see the D mint mark of the 44-D and the inside of the D is more like a square which is typical of that years mint mark.
    The coin that I have up for sale is an authentic 1914-D. >>

Despite the claims, this is pretty clearly an altered '44-D.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoever did the alteration did a lousy job. Not at all convincing.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not at all convincing. >>

It apparently was to the person who has the current high bid of $102.50........
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not at all convincing. >>

It apparently was to the person who has the current high bid of $102.50........ >>

Are you sure he's not a shill? image

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the bid history, it appears that two particular "bidders" have been mostly responsible for that price runup over 19 bids... this is a no-brainer 44-D alteration and I can't fathom how anyone would fall for it. Sad.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Despite the claims, this is pretty clearly an altered '44-D. >>

Clearly. An 8-year-old can spot these.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>Whoever did the alteration did a lousy job. Not at all convincing. >>

Yeah, it's not even a good one. Even on the good ones, they can never get that mm right...
  • Options
    I wonder if whoever did the alteration remembered to remove the VDB from the truncation of Lincoln's bust?

• Options

the seller's name 'soundofsuicide' is exactly how the buyer will feel after he/she realizes its fake

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such an obvious altered date.
    Reported
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Reported...and seller e-mailed to inform him that it's fake....although I'm sure he won't believe it since he didn't believe it the first few times he was told
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options

<< <i>Reported...and seller e-mailed to inform him that it's fake....although I'm sure he won't believe it since he didn't believe it the first few times he was told >>

I'm sure he already knows it's counterfeit.image

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I got a response from him: "The coin looks a lot better in person." So I guess that answers it all. image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    Clearly altered... Not even a convincing attempt.
    Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI
  • Options
    Honestly, this has to be the most obvious alteration I have ever seen.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of looks like this?
    imageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    I wonder how many people have reported this altered fake to eBay by now. Why hasn't the listing been pulled yet?
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of looks like this?
    imageimage >>

This one is FAR better than his. His looks like it was done with a chisel.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read the text on the ebay site.....they will act within three days on a report of a fake auction etc etc. Seems there are a lot of complaints (duh)

so....emailing them when the thing is winding down may not do the trick.

Maybe the seller will say the 14 is further from the 19 because it was a leap year.
  • Options
    Weren't the '44 Lincolns made from brass shell casings? They should have a slightly different color but from my point of view, any time there is room between the "9" and "1" to fit the 45 degree right angle portion of the "4" no matter how genuine it looks, it's fake. This one was easy to spot.
  • Options

<< <i>Weren't the '44 Lincolns made from brass shell casings? They should have a slightly different color but from my point of view, any time there is room between the "9" and "1" to fit the 45 degree right angle portion of the "4" no matter how genuine it looks, it's fake. This one was easy to spot. >>

Also, the tooling from the alteration is clearly visible.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Weren't the '44 Lincolns made from brass shell casings? They should have a slightly different color but from my point of view, any time there is room between the "9" and "1" to fit the 45 degree right angle portion of the "4" no matter how genuine it looks, it's fake. This one was easy to spot. >>

in addition the vdb on the bust is not present on genuine 14 d cents.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file