Home U.S. Coin Forum

FYI - How to set your default Ebay sort order (a.k.a. how to opt out of Best Match)

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have noticed a few complaints (justified IMO) about not being able to opt out of Ebay's "Best Match" sort order on searches. It can be done, maybe not as easily as it should be, as follows:

1) Do a search, then locate the "View as" dropdown box near the top of the item list.
2) There is a link to the right of the box labeled "Customize View". Click on it to bring up the Customize View box.
3) On the right side menu of the Customize box, find "Advanced Options". Click on it.
4) Now you can select the default sort order for your searches as well as a few other things.

I've had mine on "Ending soonest" for months now, ever since they instituted the disaster "Best Match" search algorithm...

Cheers!

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, James. That is a good tip. I've always despised "best match". I even asked friends at ebay what it means/does and mostly I get shoulder shrugs.
    Lance.
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    THANK YOU. best match is finally gone.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your my hero!!!!image

Been l@@king for that since they treaded fasterned the system.

Thanks.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are all most welcome. I know the "Best Match" irritated me to no end until I found out how to get around it...

Cheers,
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I opened up this thread. Thanks for the info, I'm off to "fix" mine now.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!!!!
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much !!
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    It was easy to do and seems to stay "fixed" as I signed out and back in just to see what would happen. Thanks again.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Wow !!! Great news. Thanks, it works great.
  • thanks for posting this. i had looked for a setting to change it from best match and didn`t find it. it was hiding in plain sight!!! image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent tip! That "Best Match" is a bunch of BS.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip. The "best match" is really just supposed to be favoritism for sellers that perform the best. So sellers who work hard to be honest, fair, and fast are rewarded by showing up higher in the searches. I will be the first to say that I don't feel rewarded and do not like it.

Is there a seller here that feels it benefits him (or her)?

Anyway, it doesn't matter what sellers think. Since no buyers like it and ebay bends over backwards for buyers, I don't expect it to last long.

---Jerry
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, very much.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

<< <i>Thanks for the tip. The "best match" is really just supposed to be favoritism for sellers that perform the best. So sellers who work hard to be honest, fair, and fast are rewarded by showing up higher in the searches. I will be the first to say that I don't feel rewarded and do not like it.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what sellers think. Since no buyers like it and ebay bends over backwards for buyers, I don't expect it to last long.

---Jerry >>

The most noticable thing that Best Match does is move listings with free shipping ahead of those without it. Frequently that means a dipped, cleaned, and scrubbed POS raw coin with free shipping gets moved ahead of Gem PCGS MS65 of the same date and type (because they charge for shipping). Really helpful.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Interestingly, I always view "newly listed first" and have made some huge BIN deals that way.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Since no buyers like it and ebay bends over backwards for buyers, I don't expect it to last long. >>

On the flip side, eBay programmers love to write unnecessary code, and this algorithm was a lot of it... they can't just throw it away!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    figglehorn
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, James. That is a good tip. I've always despised "best match". I even asked friends at ebay what it means/does and mostly I get shoulder shrugs.
    Lance. >>

BEST MATCH GIVES THE FREE SHIPPING PEOPLE TOP OF THE ORDER IN SEARCH.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the help.

For the longest time , I thought what I really needed to unsolve their mess , was to purchase a time machine.

They're not cheap , you know.--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that you have reported how to opt out of their "worst match" they will come up with a new algorithm so that you have no choices at all. Leave it to fleeBay.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the tip. The "best match" is really just supposed to be favoritism for sellers that perform the best. So sellers who work hard to be honest, fair, and fast are rewarded by showing up higher in the searches. I will be the first to say that I don't feel rewarded and do not like it.

---Jerry >>

The most noticable thing that Best Match does is move listings with free shipping ahead of those without it. Frequently that means a dipped, cleaned, and scrubbed POS raw coin with free shipping gets moved ahead of Gem PCGS MS65 of the same date and type (because they charge for shipping). Really helpful. >>

I've started adding a note to some of my auctions, "There is no such thing as Free Shipping. I've checked with USPS, UPS and FedEx and none of them offer this service. If you find a carrier who offers free shipping please contact me."

--Jerry

<< <i>I've started adding a note to some of my auctions, "There is no such thing as Free Shipping. I've checked with USPS, UPS and FedEx and none of them offer this service. If you find a carrier who offers free shipping please contact me."

--Jerry >>

Yeah, there is a prominent Northeast discount furniture chain that always advertises that "free delivery" is a gimmick (drivers do not work for free, gas is not free, etc.)

A more accurate description is "shipping included", but Misleading Marketing 101 probably says that it is bettter to have folks "think" something is free, even if it is not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file