Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Steve Young Anniversary Contest

Week 3 of the 1999 NFL Season was the last game Steve Young played. I figured since it was the 10th anniversary I would do a contest and give award a Steve Young certified autographed card (1997 Pinnacle Inscriptions Inscriptions).

I am thinking of a well known Steve Young play (as in a certain play he did in a certain NFL game...as opposed to a play he made all the time).

What was the play? Who was Young playing against? What made the play better known later?

First person to answer all three correctly win! (Must have at least 50 posts to respond).

Clear Skies,
Mark
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    Touchdown run, breaking tackles left and right, then falling into the end zone vs Vikings, made into a Burger King commercial?
    Keith
  • Options

<< <i>Touchdown run, breaking tackles left and right, then falling into the end zone vs Vikings, made into a Burger King commercial? >>

Guess that was too easy. Maybe I should have left the last question off?

PM me your addy.

Clear Skies,
    Mark

Last game notes:

New York Times
    Published: Tuesday, September 28, 1999

PRO FOOTBALL; 49ers Lose Young to Injury but Halt Cardinals' Comeback

With Steve Young, San Francisco was overpowering. Without him, the 49ers were able to hold on, then punctuated their 24-10 victory over the Arizona Cardinals tonight with a 68-yard touchdown run by Lawrence Phillips.

Young staked San Francisco (2-1) to a 17-0 lead before being knocked out of the game with a mild concussion with 28 seconds left in the first half.

Jake Plummer, the quarterback San Francisco passed up in the 1997 draft, has rallied Arizona to victory 10 times in his 29 games with the Cardinals. But he fell short this time.

Young threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to Jerry Rice before he was knocked woozy by the blitzing Cardinals. It was the 85th time the two combined on a scoring pass.

Arizona (1-2) rallied with 10 points in the fourth quarter, but Chad Stanley's 49-yard punt pinned the Cardinals on their own 3-yard line with 9 minutes 17 seconds to play. Arizona moved the ball downfield, but Adrian Murrell lost 6 yards, Plummer was sacked for the fifth time and the Cardinals chose to punt on fourth-and-11 at the San Francisco 40.

Phillips, given a chance by the 49ers after off-the-field troubles in college and early in his National Football League career, burst through the line and raced to the end zone for the game-clincher with 1:42 to play to make Coach Steve Mariucci 7-0 on Monday nights. Phillips finished with 102 yards on nine carries.

San Francisco has won both its games since opening the season with a 41-3 loss to Jacksonville.

Young, sacked five times and knocked down 16 more in last week's 28-21 victory over New Orleans, was hit by Aeneas Williams and J. J. McCleskey as he let go of a pass. His head hit the knee of an offensive lineman as he fell to the ground.

He lay motionless for a moment before he slowly walked off the field.

''He wanted to come back,'' Rice said of Young, who was 13 of 23 passing for 92 yards. ''He's a warrior. He'll be there next Sunday.''

Jeff Garcia, a 29-year-old N.F.L. rookie who led Calgary to the Grey Cup in the Canadian Football League last season, replaced Young, and though he was not spectacular, he was good enough until Phillips finished things off. Garcia was 5 of 6 passing for 30 yards.

''Jeff did a good job, and our defense did their job of giving us a chance to run time off the clock,'' Rice said.

The Cardinals took the second-half kickoff and went 80 yards in 11 plays in a drive that ended with Mario Bates leaping over from the 1-yard line to make it 17-7 with 9:45 left in the third quarter. Murrell gained 50 yards on six carries on the drive.

Chris Jacke's 43-yard field goal made it 17-10 with 1:09 left in the third quarter, and the packed house at Sun Devils Stadium went wild.

Plummer was 16 of 31 for 176 yards and two interceptions.

Turnovers ruined what was only the third Monday night game for Arizona since the Cardinals moved from St. Louis in 1988 as the 49ers scored twice in 54 seconds.

The rookie David Boston muffed Stanley's punt and Joe Zelenka of the 49ers recovered at the Cardinals' 37 miday through the first quarter to set up Rice's first touchdown catch of the year.

Two plays later, Plummer threw his eighth interception of the season. The pass, intended for Rob Moore, was knocked away by Darnell Walker into the hands of Lance Schulters, who returned it 18 yards to Arizona's 11. Charlie Garner, carrying a couple of would-be tacklers with him, scored on the next play to make it 14-0 with 5:41 left in the first quarter.

Moore aggravated a sore hamstring in the first quarter and did not play again.

Wade Richey's 33-yard field goal made it 17-0 with 9:01 left in the half.

Arizona threatened late in the second quarter, but on first-and-goal at the 6, Plummer completed a short pass to Frank Sanders, who fumbled at the goal line. Mark McDonald of the 49ers recovered just inside the end zone for a touchback.

Photo: J. J. McCleskey upended the 49ers' Steve Young last night, but Young gained 12 yards on the play. (Reuters)

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    I live in the Bay Area and still remember yelling like crazy as Young made that run. Thanks for the contest.
    Keith
  • Options
    lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    thats funny, i grew up in MN and remember yelling throughout that whole play as well.
    1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder. Sadly Vick did a similar thing to my Queens in 2001 or 2002.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Card has been sent Keith....thanks again for playing.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The amazing thing about Young is when you compare his rushing stats against those of Gale Sayers. They are virtually identical. It just goes to show you how incredible Young was as a rusher. And yet, there are still some dolts out there that insists that Young wasn't worthy of being a Hall of Famer. Every time I meet those idiots, I cut off their heads with a plastic picnic knife and throw them into the nearest body of salt water.

Sayers: 991 Rushes, 4956 Yards, 5.0 YPC, 39 TD's

Young: 722 Rushes, 4239 Yards, 5.9 YPC, 43 TD's (Young also had 135 rushing attempt and 883 yards with 9 TD's in the USFL) for pro totals of 857 Rushes, 5122 Yards, 6.0 YPC, 52 TD's
  • Options
    All of us Vikings fans painfully remember that run as it is one of the top 3 scampers against us, maybe all -time , the other 2 being the Vick run and the Tony dorsett one of MNF fame.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Totally unrelated to the OP, but this is pretty awesome too....