Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Imagine 56 bags of 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollars

Imagine 56 bags of 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollars, all of them grading at PCGS as MS-65 or higher!

The Current population of 1881-S dollars is at 43,502 with only 12,657 graded higher, over 56 bags worth of silver!

Many of them well-struck.
Tom

Comments

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm imagining. What next?
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, I'm imagining. What next? >>

Now imagine all the Seated Liberty Half Dollars you could buy with the money!

You could EASILY get a tenth of the series in uncirculated!
    Tom

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Imagine 56 bags of 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollars, all of them grading at PCGS as MS-65 or higher!

The Current population of 1881-S dollars is at 43,502 with only 12,657 graded higher, over 56 bags worth of silver!

Many of them well-struck. >>

A lot of silver. Roughly 4 1/2 tons of silver. BTW, I believe you mean to say the current pop of '81-S in 65 is 43,000+. The current pop of '81-S is 189,000+.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather imagine something slightly different... take the total population of 1881-s Morgans graded MS65 and higher that were graded by PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG. The total would likely be well over 125,000. Then, take a 25% reduction for crack outs, etc... then tell me what the appropriate value is for this date in the 65, 66 and even 67 grade.

In contrast, look at the population reports for an 1879-s Morgan, reverse of 1878, graded MS 63 and higher and then compare what they sell for and tell me which coin you would rather own...

Have funimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Can't see every coin grading MS65...sorry. If they did, I guess the price would be heading south.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a whole BU roll of them sitting in the bank, where they have been for the last 15+ years.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gosh, that's a lot of 1881-S silver dollars. Imagine this: I've never owned even one of them, and never will.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Now imagine them all stacked on top of each other. That would at least reach high enough to break several bones if you jumped off them!
  • Options
    Now imagine that quite a few dealers will assert that MS65 1881-S Morgans are 'good values' at today's prices. And keep imagining...some high-end dealers will insist that MS66-67 1881-S Morgans (and other generics), at today's prices, are good investments. And Laura S. complained in a recent market report that Legend didn't sell many coins from the 'McClaren Collection'---what a surprise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file