Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

R Franklin's the worst possible investment in all of Numismatics? MAYBE NOT !

Are they the biggest losers on earth ? Can one possibly loose more money in any other series ?

Is there a more dismal,unattractive , pitiful example of a piece of silver in all of coindom ?

I'm not talking about investment or making money - I'm talking losing your shirt, taking a bath, jumping off the roof...................

.....and those that think they might gain in popularity as the baby boomers get intrested -

let me clue you in : the post war "boomers" are getting into their sixties ........and if they aint in love with Franklin collecting by now -it ain't gonna happen

somebody please pinch me so I can wake up from this nightmare

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, umm...wanna buy a Franklin?

• Options
    I believe they'll take their place in line some day.
  • Options
    I know that you probably didn't mean it, but I found your post to be very funny....especially this part:

<< <i>I'm not talking about investment or making money - I'm talking losing your shirt, taking a bath, jumping off the roof................... >>

imageimageimage

Other than that, I have no substantive comments. image
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    I love them....would not invest in them though....and I hope others feel as you do so I can pick them up cheaper......with pretty toning of course image

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I don't follow the series, but I do like them. I like B. Franklin as he was uber cool. He was a ladies' man and a true scientist. A great patriot to boot.

I do have one PCGS Franklin half dollar, but would enjoy more.

Are you saying it is easy to buy them, but hard to sell them?
    Tom

• Options
    "Are you saying it is easy to buy them, but hard to sell them? "

...........yes, I believe that would be an understatement !
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happen to think the series has a lot going for it: completable, silver, nice design (except for the eagle!), many gorgeous toners, etc.

The problem to my mind was "irrational exuberance" fueled by FBL mania and unsustainable premiums for monster toned coins. Prices
    got way ahead of themselves on the high end coins. Just my $.52 on the subject.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy all I can and immediately sell them all.
    Won't buy in the plastic and won't go for the UNC's.
    Just sell me circulated hunks of silver. The series is
    not old enough, with the amount of mintage, to be
    of any value for another 25 years or more. (other than
    silver value, of course)

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I really like the series. I have a few, though I certainly do not count on high value.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that still like the coin...image

Franklin Link
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dangit man,and I just bought this one this week.

imageimage
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    So.....ah... its time to buy?

I don't hear much about Chinese Frankies

• Options
    They are great to collect, if they cost no more than $6.00.

People suckered into these as they run into the thousands are just jumping infront of a high speed freight train. image

Keep the cost down and enjoy the fun.
  • Options

<< <i>Dangit man,and I just bought this one this week.

imageimage >>

thats a nice one for sure , a real beauty ...................... how much ?? image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I "collect" raw Frankies, primarily pre 1959 Mint Set coins [with toning] and Cameo proofs.

I like the way these coins look, but will not "invest" big money in them. I buy them on the cheap and enjoy looking at them.

A fun way to collect a coin I like, without much stress.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Can one possibly loose more money in any other series ?... >>

Don't you mean lose? If you mean loose sure you can turn money loose on any series.

Besides which, aren't you a coin collector? Doesn't that mean that you don't bathe? So how can you take a bath? image

Let me guess, Mike. You've had a long and hard day. Do you want me to post a pic of the '48-D now so you can really work yourself up into a suicidal frenzy?

Here's my advice, only buy Franklins with disposable income. That way as soon as you've bought the coin you know that you've disposed of the income, AND you can still look at the coin from time to time.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I just bought this not long ago 'cause...

1. I liked it.
    2. It was inexpensive.

imageimage
  • Options
    I would say the worst investment is high grade first strike MS ASE's for hundreds of dollars. Followed by problem common coins-

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...Can one possibly loose more money in any other series ?... >>

Don't you mean lose? If you mean loose sure you can turn money loose on any series.

Besides which, aren't you a coin collector? Doesn't that mean that you don't bathe? So how can you take a bath? image

Let me guess, Mike. You've had a long and hard day. Do you want me to post a pic of the '48-D now so you can really work yourself up into a suicidal frenzy?

Here's my advice, only buy Franklins with disposable income. That way as soon as you've bought the coin you know that you've disposed of the income, AND you can still look at the coin from time to time. >>

What a good belly laugh I got from this Sy ! and I guess I meant loose as in moose
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought this not long ago 'cause...

1. I liked it.
    2. It was inexpensive.

imageimage >>

....another beauty to behold ! keep 'um comming - I'm unloading my gun
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that you probably didn't mean it, but I found your post to be very funny....especially this part:

<< <i>I'm not talking about investment or making money - I'm talking losing your shirt, taking a bath, jumping off the roof................... >>

imageimageimage

Other than that, I have no substantive comments. image >>

There is nothing like being naked and clean during suicide!!!image (THIS IS NOT A SUBSTANTIVE COMMENT!)
  • Options
    i'm glad we can laugh together image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now don't say that I am starting to buy a few...image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a fun series, easy to collect and COMPLETE! Yes complete.
    This was my first $ilver coin series complete raw.
    The I started with certified, then FBL, well, you get the story.
    But, I paid reasonable $$$ I felt. They will come back in
    favor, like land or homes.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm talking losing your shirt, taking a bath, jumping off the roof................... >>

Losing your shirt and taking a bath ain't that bad. But jumping off the roof, Man that's got to Hurt!
    ED
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well....seems like everyone thinks the Frankies were/are a horrible investment. So....would someone please offer me a 1959 PCGS PR66 CAM or better Franklin???? I have all this money laying around waiting to be spent. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a more dismal,unattractive , pitiful example of a piece of silver in all of coindom ? >>

Google "Churchill Crown".

For the record I do like Frankies. In mint state, blast white and dripping with luster they are magnificent.
  • Options
    I still like them and still working on my collection. Do not like heavily toned coins but the rim tones are pretty cool.image
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    You better start jumping off the roofimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that you probably didn't mean it, but I found your post to be very funny....especially this part:

imageimageimage

Other than that, I have no substantive comments. image >>

I agree, I laughed pretty hard on that one alsoimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I love the design and have a complete circulated set that I paid about spot for. None of them are investments and I doubt I will be taking a bath or jumping off the roof!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it some time. Some of the other second half 20th century REG sets just might give old Ben a run for his money.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Wanted to add this one to the mix.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I have bought a lot of them cheap off Teletrade then retail them at CW Trends making 2-3 times cost. A winning combo.

Basically they are ugly coins, but I think a lot of people collect these bc this is their birthdate. I will also put circs in my junk box I bought at silver BV with good markups and sell them too.

There can be some good really good profit on these with the right kind of buyers.
  • Options
    Well, at least Frankies aren't the ugliest U.S. coins. Susan B. Anthony dollars win that accolade by a country mile.

What precipitated the collapse in high-grade Franklin prices? Was it the recession or a growing realization that a certain dealer didn't want to buy the coins back?
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well....seems like everyone thinks the Frankies were/are a horrible investment. So....would someone please offer me a 1959 PCGS PR66 CAM or better Franklin???? I have all this money laying around waiting to be spent. image >>

What's it worth to ya? image

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the biggest potential losers are probably any coin(s) where the majority of the value is tied to a speculative designation, a probable large number of still extant coins which could affect the value or a high enough grade where the next grade down value drop is huge. coins like what bushmaster made a killing on seem as though they fit into all three of those parameters.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two sets of Frankies, one circ set purchased for me as a gift in 1978. It's probably worth about one-third of the purchase price 30+ years ago.

Oh, and PM CoinLieutenant about his father's experience with the high end of the Franklin market.

• Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I have an uncirculated set that I bought around 1973-4. Paid $250 then. Not worth a whole lot more than that now. Not the best return on my money over 35 years! But I like them anyway.
  • Options
    <<Well, at least Frankies aren't the ugliest U.S. coins. Susan B. Anthony dollars win that accolade by a country mile.>>

<<There can be some good really good profit on these with the right kind of buyers. >>

Bushmaster did OK with the 53-S FBL; he made a buck or two did he not? IMHO
  • Options

20 years ago I was buying rolls and building sets and made good money with them. A few
    years back I realized I didn't keep a set for myself so I put one together with the left overs.
    All I buy now are the tone Franks.

• Options
    I buy nice 1950 Frank Proofs in PF 65 and above when I can. This is the key to the whole lot of them.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are they the biggest losers on earth ? Can one possibly loose more money in any other series ?

Is there a more dismal,unattractive , pitiful example of a piece of silver in all of coindom ?

I'm not talking about investment or making money - I'm talking losing your shirt, taking a bath, jumping off the roof...................

.....and those that think they might gain in popularity as the baby boomers get intrested -

let me clue you in : the post war "boomers" are getting into their sixties ........and if they aint in love with Franklin collecting by now -it ain't gonna happen

somebody please pinch me so I can wake up from this nightmare >>

Funny as h#ll post!!

I have started a set of Franklins for the registry madness (not the Franklins series, but for the complete half dollar set). What is funny, is that PCGS gives two points for FBL designation for most FBLs, 3 for a couple and 5 for the 53-S. That is five points for a Franklin and one point for the 1794, 1796, 1797, 1878-S, 1892-o Micro o...you get the picture. Looks like PCGS is trying to revive the lagging series huh?

I will tell you what I love and hate about Franklins; Toning, you can find every single date with incredible toning with enough time. Sure, many are raw, lower than MS65 and not FBL, but then you only pay a pittance for those beauties. I hate FBL's because it is a whack artificial designation pumping up the price by multiples for the registry race. Sure, it denotes a superior strike, but the coin's aesthetics are the antithesis of strike quality, they are large smooth silky surfaces. The Franklins are a coin designed to be enjoyed as one flowing silver mirror, not to stare at bell lines, or tiny wisps of hair by the ears barely visible. That is what makes the coin attractive IMO.

I was going to do FBL, but now, hell no! Just meaty toners with killer eye appeal, and if they grade MS63 or 64, all the better. image

Tyler

Oh, pics of my first three raw coins. Paid a bit more than market, but only three coins into it, lesson learned early.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will have some fun and put together a raw set for an album. I always liked them, but they are too common to invest serious money.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're a great 90% bullion coin. When Gold goes to $5000, I'll be glad that I hung onto a bag or so image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    more Frankies for me....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    What were people thinking when they were paying $3000 for 1962-D Frankins in 65FBL? You could have bought 7 or 8 nice COMPLETE BU SETS for that money...and you would have done well.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Great, entertaining thread. Hm...may even goad me into building a collection!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I heard Frankies were on fire!!

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file