Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A little eBay help

I look up my last name sometimes on eBay because there are a lot of older items that show up. Like some older cards, coins, store props, and other items. But now over the past few months there has been a seller posting nude photos of women and calling them art. I have no problem with him selling on eBay, but what he is selling is just new pictures he has taken of naked women and calling them art. I know I can weed out his listings, but I don't think I should have to. I think his items just should be listed in the adult section and not viewable by just anyone. Kinda sad when I have to tell the kids to get out just to view normal items on eBay. So where can I leave eBay a message about this? I kinda looked around but didn't see what I was looking for. Thanks.

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What does your last name have to do with anything?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • If you look at his profile you'll see his last name is Maher... do a search on Maher in ebay and you'll see what he means
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Looking up family history items or other items for sale that has my same last name in it, that's why. But I don't think I should have to look through 1000 listings of Playboy type pics is all.
  • Hi Andy,

If you're referring to seller (artonline) aka Chris Maher, good luck! He's been around for a long, long, time ... way before his 6 years selling on eBay!

FYI: eBay defines nudity as male/female genitalia, anus, or female breasts where the areola or nipple is visible. Butts (male or female), bare male chests, or female breasts where the areola is not visible aren't considered nudity. eBay will not determine if an item constitutes art, but they will review the content of the listing description, images, and categories to determine if an item should be removed.

"Restricted
    Images of full nudity (including photos of explicit sexual activity) are only permitted in the Adult Only category.

Outside of the Adult Only category, the use of nude images is restricted.

Frontal nudity is allowed in Art categories when the item is considered fine art, such as Michelangelo's David, vintage pin-up art, Renaissance-style paintings, and nude cherubs.

Nude art listed in the Art categories must include the item specifics attribute "Subject: Nudes."

Frontal nudity in the Art categories, where the medium is a photograph, must include the item specifics attribute "Subject: Nudes" and must be professionally produced.

Outside of Adult Only and the Art categories, vintage photographs, postcards, and pin-up art can contain topless or suggestive images of female breasts, but not full frontal nudity (male or female), when listing in the following categories only:

Collectibles > Paper > Pin Up > Vintage (Pre-1970)

Collectibles > Postcards > Risqué

Collectibles > Photographic Images > Antique (Pre-1940) > Risqué

Post-1970 pin-up art or photographs can only be listed in the Adult Only category.

Nude art, drawings, pin-ups, and photographs that contain explicit sexual content can only be listed in the Adult Only category.

Descriptions of items containing nudity can't contain explicit or overtly sexual content."

If you insist on reporting him to eBay, there is a "Report Item" flag directly under the "Other Item Info" box on any of his auction pages.

PoppaJ

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raise your hand if you just searched the word Maher on eBay. image

• << <i>Raise your hand if you just searched the word Maher on eBay. image >>

////////////////////////////

Which hand, Nick? image
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If you add -bill to the end of your searches you'll weed out some bad stuff.

• << <i>

<< <i>Raise your hand if you just searched the word Maher on eBay. image >>

//////////////////////////// Which hand, Nick? image >>

Did that as soon as I read his post! Hand Raisedimage
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Raise your hand if you just searched the word Maher on eBay. image >>

I just added MAHER to my favorite searches! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Gonna do that right now and Capricorn I agree with you just had no idea why.

Ok off to look up your family name now.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Ok how about this then, don't click on those links, then you won't have to usher the youngsters out of the roon.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about someone whose last name is Hefner?
  • WinPitcher: It's not about clicking the links. The thumb nail pics come up while viewing the titles.
  • You can bust him because he promotes his website in the pictures and eBay will pull all his listings until he complies.
  • Do your search this way:

Maher -"Fine Art" -"Nude" (Enter exactly this way)

Not perfect but eliminates 95% of the objectionable listings
  • I would suggest typing "-Chris" or "-nude"

this should eliminate those from your search.

BTW - raises hand

• << <i>You can bust him because he promotes his website in the pictures and eBay will pull all his listings until he complies. >>

/////////////////////////////

"When selling on eBay, you can place certain types of links within your item description to help promote or sell your item. However, if you don't see your link on the list of links that we allow in the Some Examples section, you may not include it in your listing. For example, you can't link to personal or business websites from your listing.

What's a link?
    A link is anything that takes a user off the eBay site, including text, images, logos, or icons. A link can be a URL, such as "www.mysite.com", or text, such as "please put a 'www' and a '.com' around my user ID". These types of links are not allowed."

The seller has protected himself by merely including his website addy, name and phone number into his COPYRIGHT notice.

His website address in this case is NOT considered a LINK by eBay.

PoppaJ
  • I think a link to his own website selling the same stuff that he does on eBay is a clear violation.

• << <i>I think a link to his own website selling the same stuff that he does on eBay is a clear violation. >>

//////////////////////////

Bobby,

You are correct. It is a violation. My second-hand info about the copyright business does not apply.

PoppaJ