Home Sports Talk

Bring on the Red Sox!!!

No other way to approch it. 3rd straight division title clinched lastnight by pounding the 2nd place Texas Rangers 11-0.

The off season road begins next week with the Red Sox coming to Anaheim.

Can't wait!
Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi

Comments

• Can't wait for what ?

Since when have the Angels ever beaten the Red Sox in the postseason ?

Your regular season can be described as a total waste of time and effort because
    you just have drawn the team that you can't beat in the postseason.

• << <i>Can't wait for what ?

Since when have the Angels ever beaten the Red Sox in the postseason ?

Your regular season can be described as a total waste of time and effort because
    you just have drawn the team that you can't beat in the postseason. >>

This is a different year and the Angels could very well beat the Sox. A lot of it will depend on which pitching staff shows up for the Sox. Will it be the Beckett of late or the one that pitched so well at the beginning of the year? The same can be said for Dice K. If the Sox pitch well they should win fairly easily. But if they don't and the Angels bats get hot you guys could be packing up early this year.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • edmundfitzgerald

Everyday its a new game. Yes, Red Sox have played us well in the recent post seasons, but the Halos can play great baseball and are fully capable of beating the Red Sox on any given day. I sure the team isn't feeling as kocky has you.

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Bring them on.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

• << <i>This is a different year and the Angels could very well beat the Sox. A lot of it will depend on which pitching staff shows up for the Sox. Will it be the Beckett of late or the one that pitched so well at the beginning of the year? The same can be said for Dice K. If the Sox pitch well they should win fairly easily. But if they don't and the Angels bats get hot you guys could be packing up early this year. >>

This is true.

However, I think the same applies to the Angels and which pitching staff shows up for them.

Which Weaver will show up, for instance? Will it be the guy that threw 19 1/3 innings and gave up only 3 ER (1.40 ERA) during a streak at the end of August through the start of September or will it be the Weaver that's lost his last 3 outings and give up 10 ER in 19 1/3 innings (4.65 ERA)?

Jon Lackey has gone through a similar up/down pattern recently. From August 30 through September 10th he was lights out and gave up just 1 ER in 26 innings for a miniscule 0.35 ERA! Yikes! But since then he's been much more down to earth with a 5.78 ERA over 18 2/3 innings.

Ervin Santana is a complete mystery. It seems like the guy is either unhittable like he was yesterday or he's pitching BP. Scott Kazmir is basically the same thing.

Brian Fuentes? Can he really be trusted with a lead?

If Lackey and Weaver are hot that might be enough, especially in a best of 5 series.

I think this is going to be a great series though. I'll go ahead and make a prediction now: Sox in 5.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sox in 4.

One of Beckett or Lester will have an off game or lose a pitching duel, the other will win 4-2. Bucholz will shut out the Angels in game 3, Dice-K will pitch an unexpected 7 inning gem in Game 4. Then on to the Bronx for an epic ALCS showdown that might get a LITTLE bit of hype.

• << <i>

<< <i>This is a different year and the Angels could very well beat the Sox. A lot of it will depend on which pitching staff shows up for the Sox. Will it be the Beckett of late or the one that pitched so well at the beginning of the year? The same can be said for Dice K. If the Sox pitch well they should win fairly easily. But if they don't and the Angels bats get hot you guys could be packing up early this year. >>

This is true.

However, I think the same applies to the Angels and which pitching staff shows up for them.

Which Weaver will show up, for instance? Will it be the guy that threw 19 1/3 innings and gave up only 3 ER (1.40 ERA) during a streak at the end of August through the start of September or will it be the Weaver that's lost his last 3 outings and give up 10 ER in 19 1/3 innings (4.65 ERA)?

Jon Lackey has gone through a similar up/down pattern recently. From August 30 through September 10th he was lights out and gave up just 1 ER in 26 innings for a miniscule 0.35 ERA! Yikes! But since then he's been much more down to earth with a 5.78 ERA over 18 2/3 innings.

Ervin Santana is a complete mystery. It seems like the guy is either unhittable like he was yesterday or he's pitching BP. Scott Kazmir is basically the same thing.

Brian Fuentes? Can he really be trusted with a lead?

If Lackey and Weaver are hot that might be enough, especially in a best of 5 series.

I think this is going to be a great series though. I'll go ahead and make a prediction now: Sox in 5. >>

Von, Couldn’t agree with you more (except that part about the Red sox in 5) and both team will get there hits.

Fuentes is the one I’m worried about. No time for Angel management to stick with Fuentes. Guy has lost it and he might save a game here or there, but he will eventually lose one. No doubt about it.

I think the Angels will stick with the arms that got them through the season. Lackey, Weaver and Saunders. All have had issues at times, but all seem to be pitching fairly well recently, especially Saunders.

Kazmir and Santana will go to the pen. Both can toss the ball in the mid 90’s and we can use the power arms (I use this term gingerly) out of the pen. One being a lefty and one righty to boot.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I dont have much faith in the Sox this year, I plan on them lasting about as long as they did last year. Theo will then hopefully realize we need to strike the iron when its hot as far as when big name free agents become available.

Either Way I love the Sox and will root for them to go all the way however my expectations are very low.

• << <i>

This is a different year and the Angels could very well beat the Sox. . >>

That's what you guys said last year, and same results.

I think the title of this thread should have been either.............

"Wish we were playing the Yankees, the team we always beat"

OR...........................................

"Hopefully we'll finally break the hex the Sox have on us"

But "Bring on the Red Sox"!!!".......with exclamation points too image
  • Halos starting to roll, pitchers by commitee one hit the Rangers tonight. First Ranger up in the game got a hit, then "Zero" the rest of the way. YES!!!