Home Stamps Forum
Options

Second Day Covers

I recently purchased a collection of “first day” covers. While sorting through the assortment, it became apparent that not all were cancelled on the first day of issue. In fact for every stamp released in another city, there was a second cover, postmarked the next day, in Washington DC. (For stamps issued in DC, there were no second covers.)

Searching the internet, I found a reference to this practice being popular early on. However, I have never seen a reference to sales of “Second Day” covers. Does anyone collect these? Or were they for the most part destroyed, due to lack of interest?image

Comments

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    tttimage
  • Options
    Does anyone know if they have a catalog for these?image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of the practice but looking on with interest........ image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I'll keep you posted as I learn more!image
  • Options
    I notice that the Scott Specialized Catalogue of United States Stamps and Covers provide information and value for first day covers and those issued on the day following. For example, SC# 772, the 3 cent Connecticut was issued in Hartford on 26 april 1935, and is valued at $14.00. On 27 April 1935, it was issued in Washington, DC and has a value of $2.25. If the catalog listing is any indication, I would say that second day issues were not the norm, and did not carry as high a value asthe first day issue. I wonder what criteria was used in determining when an isuse would also be released in Washington DC.
  • Options
    Twogun - Good questions. Based on the years in my accumulation, I found that nearly every stamp that was not officially released in DC, had a second day DC cover accompanying it. In a private communication, Covers (here on this board) informed me that the DC Philatelic Agency opened on 1 December 1921. Therefore, any stamp released after that may have a counterpart second day cover from DC.

I don’t know why some are listed in Scotts and others are not. I guess it is part of the mystery that needs to be solved!

Because they are so inexpensive, I will attempt to backfill the missing dates from my accumulation. I don’t think that will be an easy task. However, it will be challenging!image