Home Sports Talk

Post your 2009 MLB Awards

With just about a week left in the season, my votes go to:

AL MVP - Mauer
AL Cy - Greinke
AL ROY - Beckham? Niemann?

NL MVP - Pujols
NL Cy - Lincecum (but Wainwright and Carpenter are close behind)
NL ROY - Happ

Comments

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    AL MVP: Joe Mauer - Runner Up: Mark Teixeira
    AL Cy: C.C. Sabathia - Runner Up: Zack Greinke
    AL ROY: Andrew Bailey (Pitcher) and Gordon Beckham (Hitter)

NL MVP: Albert Pujols - Runner Up: Ryan Howard
    NL Cy: Cris Carpenter - Runner Up: Tim Lincecum
    NL ROY: J.A. Happ (Pitcher) and Garrett Jones (Hitter)
  • Is Happ still considered a rookie? I thought he had more than 45 days on a big league roster before 2009.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AL MVP - Joe Mauer
    AL Cy Young - Zack Greinke
    AL ROY - Andrew Bailey

NL MVP - Albert Pujols
    NL Cy Young - Has not been determined; This week will determine winner. (Wainwright, Carpenter, Lincecum)
    NL ROY - Garrett Jones

Shane

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Sabathia's had a great year, but if he wins the Cy over Greinke because of where they play, it will be a travesty.

• << <i>Sabathia's had a great year, but if he wins the Cy over Greinke because of where they play, it will be a travesty. >>

Agreed. If Greinke played for the Yankees this year and pitched the same, he wins 25 games.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I would vote for Hanson for N.L. ROY.

W L W-L% ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
    11 4 .733 2.98 20 20 100.2 100 41 40 10 44 1 107 140 1.193 7.5 0.7 3.3 8.0 2.43

I could make the statistical argument that Hanson has been better (more strikeouts, fewer HRs, better WHIP). Both pitchers have been terrific. The tiebreaking factor is that I am a Braves fan.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sabathia's had a great year, but if he wins the Cy over Greinke because of where they play, it will be a travesty. >>

Sabbathia should finish 4th, behind Grienke, Felix Hernandez, and Verlander.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sabbathia should finish 4th, behind Grienke, Felix Hernandez, and Verlander. >>

But if he wins 20, there's no way he finishes 4th and probably not even 3rd.

• << <i>Is Happ still considered a rookie? I thought he had more than 45 days on a big league roster before 2009. >>

ESPN has him listed as a rookie and when I look at his game log for 2008 it looks like most of his appearances were in September of last year and my understanding is that the 45 days on a big league roster only applies when it's part of the 25-man roster limit . . . in other words, September call-ups don't count against that 45 day period.

If he was on the roster at other times and didn't play then you're right. I just don't know how to look that up without trying to track down every transaction he's been involved with over the last two years.