Home Sports Talk
Options

ND-Purdue

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
Who is the moron for Purdue who called time out when the clock was running and ND was out of TOs. It almost certainly cost them the game.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    When you are outcoached by Charlie Weis, you really suck.
  • Options
    Lol I was thinking the same thing.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    That was one of the biggest coaching mistakes of the year so far. Dumb
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Are you guys serious? When a TD by ND leaves you down by a FG, you ABSOLUTELY take time out to leave time when you get the ball back. Do you really think the clock is going to run out on ND? 40 seconds is an ETERNITY at the 2 yd line.
  • Options

Sorry, but that was a horrible place to call a time out... He should have had enough faith in the defense to stop ND for one play rather than guarantee them two plays from the 2-yard line and provide them with plenty of time to decide and set up the best plays to run.

This from the Journal-Courier...

<< <i>.... Hope called a timeout with 36.9 seconds to play when the Irish didn't have any remaining.

"I just wanted to have enough time to run a couple of plays," Hope said.

"If I looked at the situation again maybe it wasn't a great idea."

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said he planned to spike the ball on third down, giving the Irish one last play.

"That helped us out a little bit right there," Weis said. "We were going to make sure we had one play left." >>

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Weis is an idiot. He has one of the best QBs in college football, and he is going to spike it on 3rd down? How about having faith in your QB to get everyone settled and run two plays? I can't wait for ND to fire that guy.
  • Options
    Sure, 37 seconds is enough time to run a couple plays, but obviously it's not ideal. ND at least had to be mindful of the clock in how much time they took deciding what plays to run, switching personnel if desired, setting up for them, running them, etc... I imagine that's the concern Weiss had when he decided they'd spike it (though I would'nt have thought that a great idea, either). The TO basically removed that concern for ND and guaranteed a second play (if needed). I understand the argument that the TO gave Purdue some time with the ball after the ND score, but I don't think you should treat the clock as your enemy until it actually IS your enemy. In effect, you're preparing for failure, and when you're defense is trying to make a goal-line stand, that's not exactly the message you want to be sending them. Play to win. Don't play not to lose.

Even the guy who called the TO said it might not have been the best move.

• Options
    This comes to mind

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you figure? ND had about 40 seconds left in the game and it was 3rd down on the 3 yard line. There was plenty enough time for ND to run both plays either way. And on that 3rd down play, it was an incomplete pass. >>

i agree

but it was a bad place to call the time out
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started