Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on raw pickup at local card show - BACK FROM GRADER (Scan added!)

I went to my first card show ever today. Found this beauty mixed in with a book of commons....I think the name threw them off (John?) because I don't believe this should have been mixed in with the commons. The sellers didn't seem that knowledgable on cards (selling someone elses collection, etc), and were fumbling through a Beckett trying to figure out what to charge. I didn't pay much for it, but I wanted opinions if everyone thinks this will grade or does it look trimmed?

Comments

• Options
    Nice pick up.It looks like a solid 4.You payed less than $30 for it didn't you?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Yesssss....like I said....it was mixed in with commons.....
  • Options
    Thats a nice steal you got.
  • Options
    Scan of the back would help in regards to checking on the trimming... from the front, it doesn't look like it.
  • Options
    hahahaha ... looks like Honus is chewing some tobacco.

nice pick up.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Bobby,
    I think its been trimmed on the top and both sides due to the "bunny ears". But its still a nice card.

Kirk
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the upper right corner.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    The upper left corner is extremely sharp while the other 3 look normal. The corner looks almost too good to be true. Every time I have had an extremly sharp corner, the card comes back EOT.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bobby,
    I think its been trimmed on the top and both sides due to the "bunny ears". But its still a nice card.

Kirk >>

Kirk- I'm much less familiar with trimming b/c I'm not really into they types of vintage stuff that routinely gets trimmed. What does "bunny ears" mean?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Trimmed, but a nice card you probably only paid $5 for.
  • Options
    Just get that bad boy slabbed authentic. It is a nice addition to your collection either way.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Assuming it is not trimmed, which it doesn't seem like it would be based on the story, what would it conservatively be worth?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I know, Hun.

The photo on this card makes me think that all of the hoopla around the "million dollar" Wagner may not be accurate.

It's speculated that he pulled his image because he disapproved of tobacco; the photo on this card leads me to believe he pulled his image because he disapproved of the BRAND of tobacco!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know, Hun.

The photo on this card makes me think that all of the hoopla around the "million dollar" Wagner may not be accurate.

It's speculated that he pulled his image because he disapproved of tobacco; the photo on this card leads me to believe he pulled his image because he disapproved of the BRAND of tobacco! >>

Nick , that is a really good point .---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    nice pickup, i hope its not trimmed. glad you got it at a good price
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I heard he disapproved of the amount of money he was to receive for having his likeness on a card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well...got the card back from SGC....I am a little disappointed in the grade, as I have seen worse corners on 4's & 5's! I guess the centering killed it....anyway, it's for sell and (as usual), I am the cheapest....
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well...got the card back from SGC....I am a little disappointed in the grade, as I have seen worse corners on 4's & 5's! I guess the centering killed it.... >>

There's a pretty decent crease or stain(s) in there somewhere. The corners and the centering alone would have graded at least an SGC 60 (EX 5).
  • Options
    No...no creases or staining....not that I can see....there is very mild staining (if that is what you call it), on the front....have seen similar staining on higher grade cards....because I have so little in it, I am selling it as is now.....plus I am not a fan of the crack and resubmit game.....
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>It's speculated that he pulled his image because he disapproved of tobacco; the photo on this card leads me to believe he pulled his image because he disapproved of the BRAND of tobacco! >>

I read the "Inside T206" link that 41GoudeyGuy posted the other day and in that it quoted Wagner's roommate, Erv Kantlehner, telling the San Jose Mercury News that:

"Wagner's only bad habit is his love of chewing tobacco, but he detests cigarettes and does not smoke in any form. I have seen him refuse several checks of $1000 by cigarette companies who want to use his name."

Inside T206
  • Options

<< <i>Well...got the card back from SGC....I am a little disappointed in the grade, as I have seen worse corners on 4's & 5's! I guess the centering killed it....anyway, it's for sell and (as usual), I am the cheapest....
    image >>

Did SGC get more strict with centering? From my experience it has been the opposite
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    yes