Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Opinions on these PSA Miscuts? 1974 Topps stamps

Hello,

I recently sent the two single 1974 Topps Johnny Bench stamps to PSA. Both came back as miscut.

Are these really miscut stamps? Maybe they were deemed as miscut due to the straight edge on the left? I have also included a photo of a complete panel. As you see below, the Bench is always on the far left corner which is why it always has a straight edge. Any thoughts? To date there has never been a Bench graded from this set.

Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• Options
    Hi Phil,

What you have are actually 1974 Topps Test Stamps. All sheets were produced so that the left and right hand borders of each sheet are missing (unfortunate for the Bench). It actually takes 24 of these 12-count sheets to complete a set as some players are duplicated (unfortunately the Bench was not one of the dupes).

PSA has been eliminating many "Test" issues from registry sets as of late.

If your only interest is in having the Bench stamp graded, you might want to call or email Cosetta and ask if the Bench stamp could at least be graded as authentic. Be sure to mention that all the Bench's from that set were produced as it appears.

Cosetta Robbins
    Assistant Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe Inc.
    (800) 325-1121 ext #148
    (949) 833-7660 fax
    CRobbins@collectors.com

PoppaJ
  • Options
    I can give you my opinion as I actually have many years of experience with
    actual real U.S. Postage Stamps.

The straight edge is a NO-NO for collectors of U.S. stamps. They want the
    entire stamp perforated as issued on the sheet. Since the sheet usually
    has 50 stamps per, the collector of U.S. stamps has a many chances to
    get a great stamp off a sheet that is nice.

On the other hand, since these come this way, this is the ONLY way you
    can get this stamp. PSA does NOT know all the little nuances of the odd
    stuff, so, they don't know what to expect.

Another good example I can give you is the 1964 Wheaties stamp of
    my favorite, Al Kaline. 90% of them come with staple holes on the
    right hand side. If you are lucky enough to find one WITHOUT the
    staple holes, you have a rare GEM! I was fortunate enough to buy
    a huge lot of these in which there actually was one WITHOUT the
    staple holes! I was elated, to say the least.

They graded your stamp correctly, as more than likely, that is the
    ONLY way they come, unless you can find an entire uncut "PANE"
    which usually consists of (4) uncut sheets of stamps (Or maybe
    more in the case of sports stamps). Unless, this is the upper or
    lower sheet in that pane, then you may NOT be able to acquire
    one WITHOUT the straight edge.

Hope this helps.

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    hey phil.... funny i just sent in a bench last month with a few others...mine looks the same.. havent got it back yet..

as for the 74 topps stamps rose, he is on the end corner sheet also and is miscut. i seen a few that had a little white but no perforations.. psa graded my roses..i think it depends on which grader you get and knows that these were test stamps and all were cut very poorly with a machine.. corey
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight guys. I appreciate it.

After doing a little more digging I forgot that I owned a 1974 Topps stamp Joe Morgan PSA 8. However, it is mislabled as a 1969. The Morgan is just above the Bench on the panel as it was originally issued. As you can see, it is possible to get a stamp with a full border. it would appear that the panel that the PSA 8 Morgan came from must have been extremely off center on the opposite side for the Morgan to have received this kind of a cut. In order to me to find a Bench I will have to find another panel that is just as off center left to right. I also checked the population report on each of the corner stamps on the above panel. There have been zero graded stamps of Jon Matlack, Dave Rader, Johnny Bench, and Joe Morgan. Once I get the Morgan in the correct holder it will be a true 1 of 1.

• Options
    Phil,

There are actually (4) Dave Rader 1974 Topps Stamps that have been graded by PSA .... (1) 6, (1) 9, and (2) 10s.

The Rader stamp is one that IS duplicated on various sheets.

PoppaJ
  • Options
    awesome morgan phil....
  • Options
    Thanks Corey. I appreciate it.

PoppaJ,

Thanks for the information. I overlooked the Rader. I didn't realize that some stamps are located in different panels. That would explain some of the higher graded Rader's. I have never seen a Bench or Morgan located in different panels.

Phil
  • Options
    hey phil bench is located on other panels also.. look under the 74 stamp panels i had the quad bench panels graded which is diff than the one you scanned...
  • Options
    Firedawg,

Here's the Bench Panel .... Definitely a scarcity!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    thats it, i made that...did i sell it to you? corey
  • Options
    Hi Corey,

No it's not mine; I only collect vintage Mantles.

I searched eBay and found it. Looks like you got a nice price for it!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Phil
    I am assuming that these stamps have to be cut , to properly seperate each stamp from each other ........ correct ? Also , how can you tell the difference from a test stamp and a real stamp ? Does the same apply to the 1969 Topps stamps , cut or try perforating ?
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    I'm still looking for a 1974 Topps Johnny Bench stamp that has borders around all four sides if anyone has one.

Thanks.
    Phil
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the Morgan too...sweet! But I'd be careful sending back in, it looks like it was cut on the perforations versus being separated on the perforations like a normal stamp. Doesn't PSA frown on cutting cards that have perforations? I don't know enough about it..just giving my 2cents worth. image
  • Options

<< <i>I like the Morgan too...sweet! But I'd be careful sending back in, it looks like it was cut on the perforations versus being separated on the perforations like a normal stamp. Doesn't PSA frown on cutting cards that have perforations? I don't know enough about it..just giving my 2cents worth. image >>

Actually, I already sent it back in. It now correctly resides in a 1974 Topps stamp holder. You are right though, PSA normally does not like cutting at the perforations.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Bench comes on two 12 stamp strips but both have him on the left side so it won't come perforated on 4 sides. Like the Morgan it can be found with white border on the left but it will be straight cut. The stamps on the right side also suffer from the same problem but it's more common to find strips with more space on the right side than the left.