Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I sent a suggestion letter to the Set Registry people

Do you guys think this would cause a big stink at this point? What do you all think about it? It makes sense to me. Who knows if they'll do it though.

Here's a letter I sent to the Registry people:

Hello, I have a suggestion for the Set Registry. This might cause a huge uproar because the Registry is so big at this point but I think it's a good idea worth considering. I spend a lot of time researching past realized prices for PSA graded cards and one thing I notice is that cards with qualifiers sell for less than the grade below it but pretty much always higher than two grades below it. For example a PSA 8 OC is worth less than a PSA 7 but more than a PSA 6. Currently on the Registry, a PSA 8 OC is the equivilent of a PSA 6. Until recently, PSA had the 1-10 scale so PSA 8 OC = PSA 6 was as accurate as you could get. Now with the half grade scale, a PSA 8 OC is almost identical in value as a PSA 6.5. So I think making qualifiers a 1.5 bump down instead of a 2 bump down would be more accurate. Plus I think it would help reduce the stigma of the "dreaded qualifier" that lingers in the graded card hobby now. Overall it might generate some more submissions. If a person has a PSA 5 in their set, but they have a raw card that they are pretty sure will get a PSA 7 OC, they might have refrained from grading it up to this point because of no value to their set. If that card is now worth a 5.5 in GPA, they might be inclined to grade it. Same holds true for dealers who submit in quantity for resale because an OC card will have more value than it currently does. It's an idea to give some thought to and maybe run it by Joe.

Thanks,
Steve Ewel

Comments

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I like that idea Steve. What do you think about cards with a miscut qualifier?
  • Options
    nice idea....

9 o/c cards can be extremely sharp high grade cards but are often treated as junk. This would improve the stigma associated with that particular high grade card.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like that idea Steve. What do you think about cards with a miscut qualifier? >>

Yeah, idealy it would probably be best to leave MC's with the 2 bump down but if they enacted the 1.5 bump down, they would probably just do all qualifiers for the sake of simplicity. I think most PD's hardly have any detraction from eye appeal but those get a 2 bump down right now which seems like a bit much.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    great idea....
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I think it is a good idea and..........

agree with wabbitwax..................

I've even purchased some PD qualifier cards that I honestly don't
    even understand what the heck they are talking about. I understand
    if it has a bunch of SNOW, and maybe herein lies the solution.

Rather than put a PD qualifier, please TELL ME WHAT IT IS!
    "SNOW" "PRINTER LINES" etc etc.

Another one that particularly applies to what I collect is on OPC Baseball.
    Many of the cards come with a printing crinkle down the middle that is
    treated the same as a crease. In my opinion a paper crinkle (again this
    is NOT a crease!) should be just a qualifier.

M2CW. Comments welcome!

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    Great idea.
  • Options
    A great suggestion. If PSA made this change to the assigned points I'd fully support it.
  • Options
    I think this is a fabulous idea! In my opinion the 2 point demerit for an OC qualifier is too extreme and not really logical. The 1.5 demerit seems much more fair and would make great use of the change to half point grading. This would be a great move!
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Interesting idea!

I pulled these two scans from my set registry

Both PSA 9 OC & the PSA 7 are given a rating of 7.0.

Which one would you desire (...and don't get cute guys!)? image

...A PSA 7 or a PSA 9 OC ??? image

rd

imageimage

imageimageimageimageMelanie - Beautiful People imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Well, I got a response back, Joe said no. Oh well.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally disagree. Most PSA 8 o/c's are no better than a 6. Cards generally get the o/c that are badly off center. They usually don't have the corners of an 8 either. The worst ones are the 9 o/c's. The corners are almost never mint.
  • Options
    Yeah I probably agree. I'd rather have a nice 6 than a normal PSA 8 OC. The only reason I recommended it is because an 8 OC almost always sells higher than a 6. It would reflect on the registry more accurately.