Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

UPDATED: Just back from Canada with some nickel rolls...

Just looked through half of them so far, but they appear MUCH MORE picked over than U.S. nickels. Only one nickel from the 60s and a handful from the 70s and 80s. Did I read somewhere that the government has consciously tried to eliminate the older ("real nickel") coins from circulation, or have they just been hoarded? Either way, it's too bad for beginning collectors. Will report on this thread about the other 5 rolls.

UPDATE: Thanks for the comments below everyone! I finished the ten rolls and actually had better success, finding two nickels from the 1950s and 3 or 4 from the 1960s. All in all, found about 65 pre-1982 nickels out of ten rolls--or about 15%. Better than I might have expected given comments below. I go back in a month and hope to grab some more rolls.
Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think pre-1982 nickels are being taken out of circulation by people, not sure about the gov't, because the base metal is worth more than face value.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    I have couple rolls of Can. nickels from the 1940s; maybe two, IIRC.......mostly Ch. VF to XF or so.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The government is not only removing the nickel coins but the cu/ ni
    as well. They're a lot smarter than we are and the nickel is worth a
    lot more than our alloy. Before the LME nickel default 100 pounds of
    Canadian nickels had a face value of about $500 and a metallic value
    of $3700. The cu/ ni coins might not be worth the effort but they are
    replaced by the new composition which costs less.

Apparently it's primarily the nickel coins they are actively removing
    and cu/ ni is only being removed in a single location; Toronto.
    Tempus fugit.
  • At the high point of nickel prices, Canadian nickel dimes and quarters were worth more than face. I presume those also are now being pulled from circulation.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At the high point of nickel prices, Canadian nickel dimes and quarters were worth more than face. I presume those also are now being pulled from circulation. >>

Yes. But the nickel dimes and quarters are also being pulled only in Toronto.
    Tempus fugit.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably have a better chance of going through US nickels and finding older Canadian coins - I find lots of 1 and 5 cent coins in box searches going back into the 1940's.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably have a better chance of going through US nickels and finding older Canadian coins - I find lots of 1 and 5 cent coins in box searches going back into the 1940's. >>

I also get a fair # of Canadian nickels here in Montana--which is why I began collecting them--but nothing very old.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • I just sold 56 rolls of canadian nickles to Barrytrot in the 50's and 60's for 8 cents a piece and reinbursed postage. He will take all you have. I had not been unable to unload these at any price. Thank you Barry.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py