Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Genuine Proofs?

Anyone know if PCGS designates problem proofs as proofs, or do all problem coins go into a Genuine holder as a circ. strike?

Sent an IHC that a few members thought was a proof w/problems, only to be graded as Genuine with a circ. coin number.

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen problem Matte Proof Lincolns in Genuine holders marked "proof" and those that were not. Most proofs you can tell, but with some of the IHCs and especially the Matte Proof Lincolns, it is very hard to tell a proof vs. circulation strike. Even if "proof" isn't designated, you should be able to tell what PCGS thinks about the coin based on the PCGS coin number on the slab and whether it is the proof number or the circulation strike number.
  • Options
    I have a coin here I think is likely a biz strike but the owner thinks could be a proof. I would like PCGS to be very clear about identifying the coin even if it is a problem coin.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the problem proof IHC's and MPLs I've seen have the word "PROOF" on the insert. But, I have only seen about a 1/2 dozen of each.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All the problem proof IHC's and MPLs I've seen have the word "PROOF" on the insert. But, I have only seen about a 1/2 dozen of each. >>

I think most say proof too, but I know I saw one at PennyLady's table at Long Beach that didn't say proof and was definitely a Matte Proof Lincoln. I've seen people post photos here of proofs in Genuine holders w/o "proof" on the slab too.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Since I don't have the slab in-hand yet it may indeed say "PROOF' on the holder, but the coin number (2172) & where it is placed on the registry set is definitely in the Circulation set.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>All the problem proof IHC's and MPLs I've seen have the word "PROOF" on the insert. But, I have only seen about a 1/2 dozen of each. >>

I think most say proof too, but I know I saw one at PennyLady's table at Long Beach that didn't say proof and was definitely a Matte Proof Lincoln. I've seen people post photos here of proofs in Genuine holders w/o "proof" on the slab too. >>

That is my coin. After starting the Genuine service, PCGS did not note "Proof" on the label. Within a month or two, they started putting it on the label. While it is possible to find a few without it noted on the label, the PCGS coin number (the first part of the serial number) will be that of a Proof and not a Business Strike.

My guess is that PCGS did not think it was a Proof if the coin number is for a business strike, Augie.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    When we first started the Genuine program we did not indicate whether a coin was proof or not. Within a month or so we changed our procedures to print 'Proof" on the label.

If you have a proof coin in a Genuine holder that does not have Proof on the label you can send it in under Mechanical Error and have it corrected for no charge.

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Don.
    I have contacted the previous 2 owners who confirm that the coin is indeed a proof.
    Since part of the reason I bought the coin was to identify proof IHC from circ strikes, I will be sending the coin in.
    And hoping that it is indeed a proof.
    Value wise, I think BU & Proof are very close.

Thanks.