Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Vending Box Bust -- Bought from Felicia

2»

Comments

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I know you got hammered, but how do you get a vending box with 50 or so gradeable cards in it? I've said before that I may be too critical when it comes to picking cards for subbing, but I've busted at least a dozen '70's and early 80's vending boxes in the last couple of months and I have yet to get more than 15 cards that I think might get 10's. Out of the ones I subbed I was generally around 20% on getting 10's. That was from a combo of '78, '79, '81, and '82 Topps.
  • Options
    Do you guys think they grade harder/stricter when they put out pretty decent specials like the last 2 months and this month?
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    That was one heck of a turnaround time -- unless you paid for it.

The images you posted prior are why, by and large, I'm good getting back 8 or better on subs I'm keeping for my sets. I could do without all of the 7's you got tagged with.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've opened quite a few vending boxes myself (from 77 forward -- maybe 25 boxes over the years) -- this was hands down the nicest. Didn't think they'd all be 10's at all, but rather 8's for those centered like 8's (70/30 or better), straight 9's and a 10 or two.

Here are the two 62's that garnered 7's. How the heck are they the same grade as the 76's?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    They were brutal!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 PSA 7s in the first 24 cards, and then none after that? It's like the light bulb went on above the graders head half way through and he said "hey wait, these are all pretty sharp."

If that was the case, and it could be a likely scenario since 15 of the PSA 9s happened in the 2nd half of the sub (as opposed to only 4 PSA 9s in the 1st half of the sub), then he should have gone back and re evaluated the first half of the sub.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    How was the reverse centering on these cards?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... no idea what to say on these ... do NOT think you were treated fairly on them. WOW!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>How was the reverse centering on these cards? >>

Normal - no probs.

edit: Am through griping. I've been doing pretty good on crack & resub lately (incl. the 62's which were both SGC 80). Am sure that they will find their way into correct holders.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    mike.

you got bent over by some idiot grader. absolutely no way some of those 7/8s are not 9s at a minimum.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    What did the George Brett Rookie look like? Do you have a scan of it before grading?

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    7 was about right on the Brett -- I posted it here raw and the consensus was 7/8:

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you subbed too many. I saw all the ones you scanned and agree they were really nice. I guess I just haven't busted anything where I wanted to sub anything that didn't look like it had a shot at a 10 besides a few of the high $$ rookie cards.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    mike,
    did you request no qualifiers?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Obviously, your vending box has been searched and stripped clean of any potential 10s.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

image >>

Just a point of clarification, I said this with more sarcasam than I know what to do with it.

Though, I am sorry this happened to you.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts