Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone wanna grade my 1953 Mantle

Going out for grading tomorrow.
Anyone care to guess what it comes back?
Edit no pin hole printers spot

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    psa 4.5

if that isn't a pin hole in his cap.. but I think it might be
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd say at the low end a 3 and at the high end a 4.

Decent card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    PSA 4, cool card.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking card. I'll say '2' assuming no pinhole and a wrinkle in the lower left section of the card.
    Looking at the reverse I see no pinhole.

I also think it is better then a 2.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Assuming no pinhole in THE MICK'S cap, I'd say 3.5-4.

GOOD LUCK! It's a nice looking card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    The reason I said I see no pin hole on the reverse is because if one was on the cap (below the Y in NY) wouldn't it show through to the back? Or on some of you concerned that it is more a pin p--k (that does not go through to the back)?

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>The reason I said I see no pin hole on the reverse is because if one was on the cap (below the Y in NY) wouldn't it show through to the back? Or on some of you concerned that it is more a pin p--k (that does not go through to the back)?

Steve >>

What I see as a possible pinhole is on the seam of his cap, right above the bill toward the right side of the card.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>3.147845365812247856231 >>

Pie Traynor?
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    GEM MINT 10
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a PSA 4 every day of the week. Assuming that the crescent that extends from the "890" in career at bats into the cartoon area isn't an impression or back crease, then I'm comfortable with my assessment. The scuff and the scratch on the front lower left would probably keep the card from pulling a PSA 4.5... To be honest, I have seen uglier Mantles in PSA 5's, but I don't see this as one of them. Good luck with the sub!
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    looks like a psa 3 to me....though i hope you do better.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Well here is my guesses if you sent them to these grading services ....Bccg 8, Pca 9 or 10. Gma 5 or 6,Snaggletooth Grading service slabbed 10 pristine, or just a straight psa 4.
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • 3.5 or 4

Always looking for Vintage Yankees & NASCAR

Eric
  • looks like a solid 3.5 or a 4.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Here is my 4 for a comparision.
  • 2.5-3
  • Hi,my first post here and just wanted to show my PSA3 to compare,plus I want to try this out and make sure I know what I'm doingimage

• << <i>Hi,my first post here and just wanted to show my PSA3 to compare,plus I want to try this out and make sure I know what I'm doingimage >>

////////////////////////

PoppaJ

p.s. ... Terry (Smittys), your '53 Mantle looks like a solid 3.5 - 4 to me also. image
  • Thanks,getting the hang of it now,I think the original post is about a 2 -2.5
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi,my first post here and just wanted to show my PSA3 to compare,plus I want to try this out and make sure I know what I'm doingimage

image >>

This is a superb 3 for a 1953 topps.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Going out for grading tomorrow.
    Anyone care to guess what it comes back?
    Edit no pin hole printers spot

image >>

I've looked at hundreds of psa graded '53s and would guess yours to be a 3, 4 if you're very lucky.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with most here that it may grade a PSA 3 or 4.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I bought mine on ebay about 5 years ago and thinking about resubmitting thinking I could get a 4 the centering top bottom if off,the original post shows rough edges on left side and the back is tilted,color chipping under outfielder,if it comes back higher then a 3 I would be suprised and would love to see how it does,god luck.
  • very nice to look at no matter what the grade will be.

good luck.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    SGC-40
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    So what grade did this obtain???
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I think this wound up as a PSA 4.5-- and was recently sold.........
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job, got a better grade than I thought.

Congrats...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I think the 4.5 was VERY generous! I want that grader when my sub hits the floor!
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    WOW, way generous on that grade looking at the raw scan.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I am good... just sayin
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I say PSA 3, maybe 3.5. I dont see that card getting a PSA 4 though.

Keep us posted what it comes back.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Mittec...your Mantle is a beauty for the grade.

I have a question to those with more experience on 53s...on the back at top left where the circle (baseball) is around the card number it is partially cut off at the top...is this why the card may have graded so low?? I would have thought that since part of the card back is cut off that the card would have been graded as a MC??

Appreciate thoughts on this...

Jeff
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    I realize this is a bump from September, but I'm still going to guess a VG-EX 4 without looking down the page.....

It graded an EXTREMELY GENEROUS 4.5!
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    No, it wasn't an "extremely generous" 4.5.

OTW said it was a PSA 4 all day long, and it was every bit of that. The card had some nice eye appeal to it, so apparently that warranted another .5 in grade. I bought the card from Smittys and then sold it, and was happy with the result.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    Are we looking at the same card??
    I thought it was a 4 myself. So I can see it getting a 4.5.

I would not say it was a very generous 4.5 etc.

First off we are seeing only a scan of the card.

Burgandy saw it in hand as did Smitty.

As a matter of fact looking at my original post I said:

"On the low end it is a 3 on the high end a 4."

Of course I never saw it in hand.

Steve
    Good for you.
    I was just looking at the paper loss in the red. Just seems like alot....I thought if a card had paper loss, the highest grade was a '3' maximum.
    If you are talking about the area to the left of the M in Mickey I don't think it is paper loss

but due to a ruff cut.

If you are talking about the white at the middle of the red at the bottom I think it is missing ink.

Their really is not much difference between a card grading 3 and one grading 4.5

When you get down to those lower grades it is mainly technical grading. Those cards have flaws

and depending on the grader it could grade between 3 and 4.5, heck possibly even a 5.

Then you can see a card graded 3 that makes you scratch your head.

Plus you could send that card in 10 times and get 2 or 3 different grades too.

In any event I would not pay a premium over what a 4 goes for, for it myself.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Looks like a good card to me. If PSA says it's a 4.5, it is. We ain't the experts
  • i have a question, i think that card is a fake, says something about geroge sassler haveing the most hits? i thought ichiro has the record for most hits?
    No, that is Pete Rose.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I still think mine (the PSA3) looks better even though the rear is off center.