Home Precious Metals
Options

what's up with yo-yo gold?

Just curious if anyone had any theories on why gold was down. What with all the talk about the dollar falling, etc. I would have 'thunk' that it would be up vs. down. It sure does seem to be moving back and forth 'quickly' - like a yo yo.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increasing volatility always represents a widening divergence of opinion.

All it tells me is that someone wants gold to go down about as much as someone else wants it to go up.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I think there is some psychological barrier near $1000 as when it was near there 25 years ago, that would noww be over $2200

some people with huge investments are swinging the market

floor traders want movement, they don't care which way and can follow it on a minute by minute basis
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo-yo gold has been yo-yoing since it began this bull market in 2002. It will only get worse. Expect to see $100+ daily moves (up or down) in the price of gold eventually. Prior to 2004 the PTB in gold made sure that up moves in gold were limited to $10 and typically less than $6. That was the "rule." Once the $10 rule was broken a new level was unleashed. I think right now the $50 "rule" is in play. As pog goes higher, the "rule" gets bigger.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    99% of the time it move inversely to the dollar. Today the dollar index is up +0.4 which is 0.5% and a fairly significant rise, so down go the metals. Tomorrow if the dollar index falls a bit the metals will rise a bit.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    darn, still falling like a rock.