Home Sports Talk
Options

Thanks for the ride Bobby!

Bobby Cox announced his retirement at the end of the season.

Thanks for the fun ride Bobby, your next stop Coopertown.
collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i> your next stop Coopertown. >>

There are not that many HOF locks...that dude is one of them.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree he will, but with only one WS championship with arguably the greatest pitching staff of all time for a number of years...sorry but in my view, I'm not ever gonna put him up there with the great managers of all time. I mean Willie Randolph, one of the worst managers I've ever seen, could have likely won at least one WS with that phenomenal pitching staff.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Bobby Cox announced his retirement at the end of the season. >>

Actually, it'll be the end of NEXT season. The Braves picked him up for 1 more season.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Cox is a great manager; he is an easy HOFer. Who here is questioning Earl Weaver's credentials? He won only one WS. La Russa has won twice, but the 2nd one was a fluke. I'm not knocking him-he's a fine manager as well. His team was barely above .500, and would not have made the playoffs in many seasons.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I agree he will, but with only one WS championship with arguably the greatest pitching staff of all time for a number of years...sorry but in my view, I'm not ever gonna put him up there with the great managers of all time. I mean Willie Randolph, one of the worst managers I've ever seen, could have likely won at least one WS with that phenomenal pitching staff. >>

I agree with Steve. 14 division titles and 5 pennants really should have netted more than one WS title. They were impressive but once they got to the playoffs...not so much.

Not trashing the guy or anything but something was wrong other than just bad luck.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes I agree he will, but with only one WS championship with arguably the greatest pitching staff of all time for a number of years...sorry but in my view, I'm not ever gonna put him up there with the great managers of all time. I mean Willie Randolph, one of the worst managers I've ever seen, could have likely won at least one WS with that phenomenal pitching staff. >>

I agree with Steve. 14 division titles and 5 pennants really should have netted more than one WS title. They were impressive but once they got to the playoffs...not so much.

Not trashing the guy or anything but something was wrong other than just bad luck. >>

Really, it's quite incredible to only win one WS with that pitching staff, and the Braves didn't have that bad of a hitting lineup either during those years. Of course Braves fans know this as well, and I'm not trashing Cox or trying to pile on...I'm just saying yes he will go into the Hall, but I'm not gonna put him up there with the greatest managers for that reason of only winning one WS, especially with that amazing pitching staff - perhaps that's harsh judgment but ya can't ignore that fact.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    14 straight divisions titles, will this happen again in our lifetime?

I say no.

He is one of the great managers of all time. He won only one WS, but so have many other greats.

He still has one more shot at his second WS!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Phillies have a chance now in the futureimage
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was about Bobby V, retiring from managing after this season in Japan...now talk about great managers of all time...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.