Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Larry Fritsch's 1970's sets

2»

Comments

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The 75 set looks very nice, probably better than average centering. Great Brett too.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting Mike. This is the first time I've seen their sets where I knew it came from them. I think you did better than another collector who posted his experience with a '74 set where almost all were OC or miscut except the Ryan which graded 8. It's actually better than I was expecting. Good luck on hitting a 9 or two. Any low pop commons that are 9 material?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A bit off topic, but Larry very briefly opened up a baseball card museum in Cooperstown in the early 1990s. I want to say it was 1991. To me, that place was like heaven, as it showed off all of his vintage stuff. Never saw a baseball card collection like that in person, and probably never will.

From what I can recall, the admission price was cheap, and it included a pack of 8 of his own trading cards. The cards had pictures of his top 8 finds, and on the back had the story of how he aquired them. Even had what he paid, and what they were currently worth. I wish I had thought of asking Larry to autograph one of them at the time.

The museum didnt stay open long....one year....MAYBE two. I remember going back to Cooperstown one year to see that it was closed, and I was heartbroken. Every year after I would always walk by just hoping it would re-open, but it never did.

Two years ago my father and I walked by it again (beautiful building, still vacant, located a block off of Main St going towards the Lake) and commented on how we liked that Museum.

I came across his 8 card set earlier this summer. I will try to find it again and post some pictures. >>

This post jogged my memory. A friend of mine and myself went to Cooperstown to see the BBHOF. We came across Fritschs museum/shop. We took the tour,but I don't rcall getting the card set. I remember buying a 1974 Winfield rookie. Paid $75.00 for it. Not sure if Larry sold me the card or not. Was "booking" for $90.00 at the time. Still have the card. Probably gradeable. Will have to send it in one of these days. This was a time when Winny's rookies were "hot". IIRC his rookie in Becketts peaked out at $210.00.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Mike thank you for sharing your buy with use. Like some of the others I wondered what the sets would look like and just about what I was thinking.
    I would say in your case any way the cards look nice, centering trouble yes but we all new that would be the case. I'd have a blast sitting down going through those sets.