Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who thinks PSA should grade the 1984 Nestle 792 set?

Just seeing who here thinks that PSA should grade this great set? I think their reasoning behind not grading it right now is the fact that the cards were cut from sheets by third parties and not the manufacturer. But now with PSA grading many items that get a "hand cut" designation, I would like to see them start grading this set again, they could even give it a "hand cut" or "sheet cut" designation. The cards are listed in all the major big book guides and I think it is fairly well known among collectors that they were cut from sheets. It's a great set and would love to see more in PSA holders and on the registry!

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    They should grade them.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I agree 100%. I would love a graded Mattingly.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I did not realize they didn't grade them. Yes, they should.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were these ever available as individual cards (ie. in packs, inside nestle products, etc.....)?
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Joe,

I beg you, please grade these cards again! PSA has nothing to lose her, this should be a no-brainer. I have four that will be subbed at the earliest possible time! All four have Dale Murphy on them!

Thanks,
    Joey
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely they should.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nick, no they were not, only in sheet form.

As for grading them I see no problem.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    If sheets were the only way they were distributed then they should all get the "hand cut" designation on the flip, but if PSA has not given the "hand cut" designation to any of the 261 examples they have already graded, then starting now would make the original 261 examples seem like they were not hand cut. Maybe this is the quandary that has caused PSA to stop grading them. The horse is already out of the barn (so to speak).
  • Options
    Just putting 'Nestle' on the cert should be enough.

The market would know.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Can I vote twice on this? If so, yes and yes!
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any condition sensitive Nestle's due to the sheet form distribution? I would think that there could be some dings on some of the corner cards, making for some interesting grading irregularities.

Maybe PSA should just make a slab big enough for the sheet. image Probably wouldn't qualify for monthly grading specials, though. That's one Tall-Boy.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    I believe they may now be grading these and noting them as hand cut. A few weeks ago, I happened to be looking at the pop report for 1984 Topps and noticed that 1984 Nestle no longer says "DO NOT GRADE" and instead is noted as Hand Cut. If I decide to get in on the $6 special, I'll be sending in a Nestle to see if that's the case.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe they may now be grading these and noting them as hand cut. A few weeks ago, I happened to be looking at the pop report for 1984 Topps and noticed that 1984 Nestle no longer says "DO NOT GRADE" and instead is noted as Hand Cut. If I decide to get in on the $6 special, I'll be sending in a Nestle to see if that's the case. >>

Interesting... I just added mine...

"Item with Cert Number 05162549 was added: 1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 490 CAL RIPKEN JR. 9 0133844900"
  • Options
    In my opinion, if they start to designate them as hand cut, while having over 250 without that designation, it will cause confusion, as well as possible premiums being paid for the non designated versions by people that do not know they are all sheet cut.
  • Options

<< <i>In my opinion, if they start to designate them as hand cut, while having over 250 without that designation, it will cause confusion, as well as possible premiums being paid for the non designated versions by people that do not know they are all sheet cut. >>

I'm not sure if that bothers me. If people pay a premium because of what a flip says, then let them. In my opinion, it's everyone's responsibility to know what they're buying.

If a seller markets a card whose flip doesn't have "hand cut" noted as a premium over the others, then that's just a buyer I wouldn't buy from.

Caveat emptor.
  • Options
    So, this whole set was cut from sheets?
  • Options

<< <i>So, this whole set was cut from sheets? >>

Yes.

From the SCD Catalog:

"The 792 cards in the 1984 Nestle set are identical to the Topps regular issue except that the candy company's logo replaces the Topps logo in the upper-right corner of the front. The set was offered as a premium in uncut 132-card sheet form. A few enterprising individuals bought up a majority of the reported 4,000 set production and had the sheets cut into single cards. Due to the ease in handling individual cards, as opposed to large press sheets, sets of single cards sell for more than sheet sets."
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    anyone have a george brett nestle ?

I would be interested in that ., pm me !!!!!!!
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Now that is a set I would like to collect. Yes they should.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I have three of the 261 graded examples...they are all Schmidt Nestle cards [graded about 8 years ago]

There are no reasons why PSA should not grade this set. And, quite frankly, the 1984 Nestle cards, although issued in sheets, were cut by the same manufacturer that Topps used by an outside vendor in 1984. [e.g. the vast majority of sheets were cut down in 1984, by a professional firm]. Judging authenticity and the clarity of the cut are important; there should not be any collector that misunderstands the Nestle issue, and if it means that PSA includes a "Hand Cut" designation, so be it. It should be graded.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I tried adding my Ripken to the Master registry... we'll see if they put it in. Of course that can take months sometimes image

Guess it's time to crack a few of my BGS 9.5 to submit to PSA.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I love threads like this. I had no idea that this set existed or how it was issued. I might have to hunt for a couple of cards or even a set.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    NugenNugen Posts: 107 ✭✭
    The "enterprising individual" was William Bossert of Mid Atlantic Cions in Media, PA. He has a contact at Topps factory in PA and got his sheets out the back door. They also cut the sheets for him. Mid Atlantic coins used to advertise this set and stars in their ad in the front cover of SCD in 1990's. I paid the store a visit to buy some Ripkens and he told me the story. He had loads and loads of complete mint sets.
    P.S. I way over paid for those Ripkens back then...
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone have a george brett nestle ?

I would be interested in that ., pm me !!!!!!! >>

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    I got a Braves team set off Ebay for 2.99 last month or so
  • Options
    I'm still a little confused here, will PSA grade these now with the HC quailifer?
  • Options
    That set sold for 76.99 (around 10 cents a card)

Seems like a decent deal to me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

i'd settle for just grading the dam cards they already grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Please put me with the "yeas" for grading cards the set. I had tried submitting previously when I did not know about the moratorium on these cards. I have 2 complete sets that are ready to be graded. If they get a "Hand Cut" or whatever, fine, I have no problem with that. I just want to be able to get them slabbed and get set up on the registry.

Come on Joe, maybe an October Nestle Halloween Special?
    Currently looking for:
    1969 Topps in 8 or better
    1972 Topps in 8 or better
    Summer Olympic Tickets from 1896, 1908, 1912, 1920, 1924
    Winter Olympic Tickets from '36, '48, '52, '56, '60
    I also conduct PSA and PSA/DNA Ebay auctions under the username brylojo
  • Options
    The set is beautiful btw.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

Good for you.
  • Options

Just FYI...

PSA does grade these. We designate them as "Hand Cut" for the reasons noted in some of the posts but they can be graded nonetheless.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    President
    Joe Orlando
    CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just FYI...

PSA does grade these. We designate them as "Hand Cut" for the reasons noted in some of the posts but they can be graded nonetheless.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    President >>

Thanks Joe!
  • Options
    "The Cal Ripken Jr. Master Set has been updated with the item '1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 490 CAL RIPKEN JR.' which you requested on 9/22/2009 8:18:00 AM. You can now add your item to the set. Should you have any questions, please contact setregistry@collectors.com.

Thank you.

The Set Registry Staff"