Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

MPL NEWS!! First non Red set to break the 67 Weighted GPA barrier

Congratulations to Richard Shapiro for aquiring the Stewart Blay 1916 PCGS PR67RB MPL cent. With the addition of this POP 1/0 coin, Richards weighted GPA is now 67.05 and he owns the finest non Red MPL cent collection ever assembled!

Gobrecht's Golden/Iridescent Raisinet Collection
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    ongrats, I also often prefer the look of RB and toned BN copper in my collection.
  • Thanks. I'll give it a good home, but I couldn't have done it without Brian Wagner and Stewart Blay. They were both willing to go the extra mile and work with me. There is no way this would have been possible otherwise. Two class acts who care more about the beauty of a copper coin than the number on a slab, this pop. 1/0 1916, about 85% red, with lots of "pop" and in an OGH, may be the finest 1916 MPL extant. I thank Brian for thinking of me, and Stewart for, among other things, his focus on red coins. If this 1916 were 95% red instead of 85%... I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good... image
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Richard. Couldn't have found a better home!! It will have some great company with all your other "poppers".
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ever there was a "right coin for the right set" this has to be it! Congrats!
  • Two more class acts heard from... You're too nice and too kind, but I'll be gracious and just say, "thanks again."
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard, that is one hell of a set!!

Any chance you could post the truview image of your new 1916 here on this page slightly larger than the picture linked to your set?

Doug
    Doug
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    This is certainly a phenomenal set, and one I would be proud to own. I, for one, really appreciate it being open for viewing and all of the wonderful photos. Thanks for sharingimage
  • Doug, the answer to your question is yes, I most certainly think that I will be able to, but I'm afraid it will be a while. I'm 2,000 miles from home on a sabbatical to save my life, in a very real sense, if not absolutely literally. So I would say hopefully well before Thanksgiving, but not until after Halloween. And I know I owe a couple guys a phone call. I can be very bad about that. I won't mention any names, but one person called me maybe a month ago and I have neglected to call him back. What can I say? Please forgive me, and go Sox!
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Hey Rich,

Just heard about the great addition to a great collection! Nice going!!!

BYW - do you mean go "Red Sox" or go "White Sox" image

Duane

Edit: Just read between the lines, Rich - be well.....
    Rich, whenever is fine. That one just may be the centerpiece of your collection, although it would be hard to pick just one.
    Doug
  • Duane, I'm a White Sox fan, but I think the White Sox are all but mathematically out of it, so I did actually mean the Red Sox, just for you.

And Doug, about the centerpiece, I think you may be exactly right. The 1916 may well be the centerpiece, but it IS awfully hard to choose.

Regarding my cryptic comment about my health, I "just" need to lose about 130 pounds. I've lost 13 of them, so I'm 10% of the way there.

It's a lifelong journey, but I've begun. It's pretty simple (but not easy!), involving healthy food choices, portion control and regular exercise.

I dug myself a deep hole but I've stopped digging and I'm on my way out, "walking the tiger." My focus is on baby steps, one day at a time.

Gotta go, I've got 4 new messages to read... Thanks again to everyone for your kind comments and your good wishes. I really appreciate it.
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
    Good luck with that. I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you will do it. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Doug
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great collection. image Congrats.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    You have TWO amazing 16's no fair!! image

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You have TWO amazing 16's no fair!! image

image >>

Chris, make that THREE amazing 16's. You forgot about this little diddie.

• Amazing coin!! Congratulations, brother.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous 1916, really and truly - a big HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you Rich - I got to see that sweet puppy in person and Brian had to pry it out of my fingers to get it back! I love toned copper and that one is an amazingly beautiful piece. And though I haven't dealt with Stewart (yet), I know Brian is an all around nice and fair guy. I am very envious..... image And all the best to you in your health struggles, slow and steady wins that race!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • One word-Amazing
    Congrats to you on some of the most beautiful coins ever minted --

Dave

P.S What's next for you?
    Positive BST transactions with: Patches, Greencopper, 09sVDB, Ajia, Whatsup, RpmHunter, tander123,ModCrewman,Lablade

• << <i>Richard, that is one hell of a set!!

Any chance you could post the truview image of your new 1916 here on this page slightly larger than the picture linked to your set?

Doug

>>

85% red and an early die state, not TrueView but robec, his obverse captures the substantial redness, the light irridescent toning AND the magnificent hair detail.

His reverse image reveals the only mark worth mentioning. Note there's a small indentation located in the field between the wheat ear and the rim at about 2:30.

I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Whow!
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

DANG!! It's a so beautiful and stunning! Congrats again to Richard on the coin and Robec on the image!

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
    Very Nice! Thanks for posting it.
    Doug
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His reverse image reveals the only mark worth mentioning. Note there's a small indentation located in the field between the wheat ear and the rim at about 2:30. >>

I don't really find that mark that mentionable. I WILL mention however that the spot at the end of the letter C in CENT is extremely fortuitously placed.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be Robec's best pic to date. Superb!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Congrats,

Very impressive.