Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some 18th Century coins on display in Fort William Henry

Hello folks, I have just returned home from a trip to my favorite place in the world, Lake George New York. While today Lake George is mainly a tourist attraction, it was a major strategic area in the past. Playing host to two major battles- one in the French and Indian War and one in the Revolutionary War. Fort William Henry, at the very base of the Lake on the south shore, was burned in the the 1750s, and the location was excavated, and a reconstruction of the Fort was built in the 1950s. Inside the museum (which is housed in the walls of the Fort) there are a few coins on display. These were found in the ruins of the Fort.

Here are a section of pictures!

I believe the 19th Century designation is incorrect.

Considering these went through a major fire, and then were in the ground for almost 200 years, it's no surprise they are in poor shape.

There are also a collection of beads, shells and bones- aka, Wampum, which the American Indians used in place of metal coins.

Here is a photo of the outside of Fort William Henry (It is so large that it is not possible to get it all in one photo)

If you would like to see more of Fort William Henry, please follow this link:

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/lake-george-new-york/fort-william-henry-/

And if you would like to see pictures from my trip to Lake George, and a mini-hike to see the never completed Fort George, as well as statues, monuments and other historical locations, please visit this album:

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/lake-george-new-york/2009-september-trip/

Thanks for looking, and I close with this photo of Lake George, which I took while standing on the other side of the road that Fort William Henry is on, looking north along the Lake's 32 mile distance (though it makes a turn in the center, so you aren't seeing that far)

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    nice pictures Billy! sounds like a neat day trip

(Nick of Nick's Tents called and he loves the free publicity) image

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    A 1734 "penny" . . . . . another rarity, eh. image

Numismatists, apply now at Ft. Henry. image
  • Options

<< <i>(Nick of Nick's Tents called and he loves the free publicity) image >>

Cool pics, Billy! Looks like a fun time. We often used to visit historic sites when we lived in PA, but not so much anymore. I'd love to get back up that way again. Thanks for posting.image