Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's THIS all about for Pete's sake?!!

I just don't get it. Will someone enlighten me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270457420029
No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    I don't see anything unusual- Krause lists this date at $400 in UNC. Was there maybe something else you had in mind?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I don't know; a 1944 coin that is listed as "circulated" which may or may not qualify for AU ,with a wad of verdigris
    spinach on the obverse and price based on a catalogue that's, like nearly all price guides, normally 40-60% over
    actual market trade value, getting that kind of bid activity?

I'm lost.

But nothing new there...image
  • Options
    This one sold for $130, described as uncirculated:

And another, for $356, AU:

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know; a 1944 coin that is listed as "circulated" which may or may not qualify for AU ,with a wad of verdigris
    spinach on the obverse and price based on a catalogue that's, like nearly all price guides, normally 40-60% over
    actual market trade value, getting that kind of bid activity?

I'm lost.

But nothing new there...image >>

Looks to me like there are at least 2-3 people that believe the coin is at least a slider, and that an acetone bath might take care of the obverse.

I've certainly seen crazier prices on eBay; this one doesn't faze me.

As far as Krause being "normally 40-60% over actual market trade value", in my opinion that's incorrect. World coins may only trade for half Krause in your area; they do at most retailers in my region as well, BUT...

In many cities, world coins go for 75%+ of Krause, and I find that at shows, world coins are usually sold at 80-85% of krause. I routinely get 75% of Krause on eBay, and depending on the quality of the piece, up to triple Krause. Keep in mind that there are frequently international bidders/buyers competing on eBay, and depending on how their currency is doing compared to the dollar, what we see as overpriced may actually be considered a bargain by them...

I have to careful with the numbers I'm throwing around though, as I'm falling into the same trap that you are, namely that a single percentage can be applied across the board. Some countries are hotter or colder than others, and there are countries that Krause is periodically and/or historically UNDERVALUED on. For all I know, this coin may fall into one of those area. Portugal and its colonies are not one of my strong points.
  • Options
    I certainly understand that, and you would know better than I do since you're actively trading off Krause.

A generic comment, nothing more.

An "eye of the beholder" kind of thing, and since I'm not into the series I probably have no
    business commenting on it at all.

This is what coin ennui does to a person.image

• Options
    In the portuguese catalog this coin lists for 450 euro (around 650 US$) in "Bela" (AU) with a footnote a note stating that its very rare in "Soberba" (UNC), personally the current price seems fair and its very likely to get higher...
    (KM prices for portuguese coins are all over the place, really! image )
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to check my box of foreign!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    close but no cigar.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the price has gotten out of line - yet. A trip to NCS will do it good!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Portuguese coins, particularly the better dates and/or higher grades from before some point in the 1950s always seem to realize strong prices when I sell them on Ebay, at least in comparison to say, German or Swedish material from the same era and in the same grades. High grade in this case often meaning a nice XF or above...