Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This was so funny that I have to post it...Wade Boggs...

This pic was posted on sportscollectors.net and since many of you are not members, I thought you may enjoy some humor. Boggs did a signing this weekend and someone got this pic...it must have been a very rough night!

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    the plugs took nicely
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the plugs took nicely >>

lmao
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    If I didn't see that pen in his hand, I would think he was busy doing something else.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I didn't see that pen in his hand, I would think he was busy doing something else. >>

I think you're referring to the monkeys again , Matt.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>the plugs took nicely >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If I didn't see that pen in his hand, I would think he was busy doing something else. >>

I think you're referring to the monkeys again , Matt. >>

Right turn Clyde
  • Looks a little like Danny Bonaduce
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks a little like Danny Bonaduce >>

I was thinking Screech
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I thought that was his reaction to have been sent to Tampa Bay image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • "Whaddaya mean, no more chicken?!?"
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    What was he suppose to do? People were flashing photos all day long ....its hard to be photogenic in that type of setting. A lot of celebrity photos are caught at awkward moments, so only a fraction of the shots taken are going to be nice enough to display and publish. Give this all-time great a break.

He actually looks a lot younger than the last few years of playing. He took good care of himself overall. Yes, I know he had a hair transplant, but he did take care of himself too.

His career numbers would have been more interesting had he been brought to the majors sooner. I think he was down in the minor leagues way too long.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Remember what kept Boggs in the minors for a while? Boston had Carney Lansford at 3B, and he won a batting title for them in 1981. That year, Boggs won a batting title in AAA. Boston also had another 3B prospect, named Ed Jurak, win a batting title for them in AA the same year.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What was he suppose to do? People were flashing photos all day long ....its hard to be photogenic in that type of setting. A lot of celebrity photos are caught at awkward moments, so only a fraction of the shots taken are going to be nice enough to display and publish. Give this all-time great a break.
    >>

Wow, lighten up! That is what is so funny about it, it was an awkward moment! I had no idea that people got offended over awkward pics...not only celebrities but ALL OF US have had pictures taken of us like that. Most people get a laugh out of it, I even laugh at myself. Personally, I like Boggs because of the work he has done for Multiple Sclerosis (personally affects my life) and for the memories he has given me watching him play. He was also very kind and signed a RC for me in Cooperstown. So chill out, this was all in fun, not a bashing moment.
  • Is it wrong for me to think about not getting his auto at the National because of this pic? I like the guy, big fan, but not sure I want to pay and get that look. Might pay not to get that look. I say this because I am paying more for the experience than the acutal autograph. Probably an isolated incident but with so many options and wanting to feel good about the people we look up to, I might make another choice. Always nice to meet someone you look up to and not feel dorky handing them something to sign and not feel embarrassed to admire them. It's great to show respect for someone and have them treat you like a human being who paid for the privilege of standing next to them and getting their auto and not be made to feel like a pain in the a$$. I can't tell if that's a "You are really a pain in the a$$" look or just "I'm really tired" or a guy being caught off guard because he didn't know a camera was being put in his face. Sometimes a signer can leave you with a feeling that they just want to collect the check and have no interest in interacting with someone who was a fan of their work and that is in my opinion a crappy feeling for the consumer. Anybody have any experience with Wade that they can pass on? Who do you feel have been some of your more enjoyable auto experiences? For me, Eric Dickerson, Len Dawson and Raymond Barry were awesome and the reason I pay a fee to get someone's autograph.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Is it wrong for me to think about not getting his auto at the National because of this pic? I like the guy, big fan, but not sure I want to pay and get that look. Might pay not to get that look. I say this because I am paying more for the experience than the acutal autograph. Probably an isolated incident but with so many options and wanting to feel good about the people we look up to, I might make another choice. Always nice to meet someone you look up to and not feel dorky handing them something to sign and not feel embarrassed to admire them. It's great to show respect for someone and have them treat you like a human being who paid for the privilege of standing next to them and getting their auto and not be made to feel like a pain in the a$$. I can't tell if that's a "You are really a pain in the a$$" look or just "I'm really tired" or a guy being caught off guard because he didn't know a camera was being put in his face. Sometimes a signer can leave you with a feeling that they just want to collect the check and have no interest in interacting with someone who was a fan of their work and that is in my opinion a crappy feeling for the consumer. Anybody have any experience with Wade that they can pass on? Who do you feel have been some of your more enjoyable auto experiences? For me, Eric Dickerson, Len Dawson and Raymond Barry were awesome and the reason I pay a fee to get someone's autograph. >>

interesting.

several years ago, i waited an hour and a half in line for the privilege of having some 8 x 10 glossies signed by Frank Robinson at the request of a business associate....i was pretty excited because all i wanted to do was meet Frank, and perhaps grab a micro-second of his attention for a smile and a handshake......no such luck, i received a grunt and a hand full of signed pics, while another friend stood behind me and recorded the momentous event.....the picture, of course, shows the back of my head, and the top of Frank's head, while he compliantly pushes the Sharpie across the gloss.

then, i heard about some people's Wiliie Mays experiences, and suddenly i didn't feel so bad. image
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    looks like he was looking for Margo's underwear.

Who remembers that?

• interesting.

several years ago, i waited an hour and a half in line for the privilege of having some 8 x 10 glossies signed by Frank Robinson at the request of a business associate....i was pretty excited because all i wanted to do was meet Frank, and perhaps grab a micro-second of his attention for a smile and a handshake......no such luck, i received a grunt and a hand full of signed pics, while another friend stood behind me and recorded the momentous event.....the picture, of course, shows the back of my head, and the top of Frank's head, while he compliantly pushes the Sharpie across the gloss.

then, i heard about some people's Wiliie Mays experiences, and suddenly i didn't feel so bad. image >>

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Considered Frank before but now crossed off the list. Some people are better admired from afar. Wade still a maybe. Heard bad things about Willie too so I'm keeping my 300.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Yankeeno7,

Its all good. I know you had this in good fun....
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Ulysses - Frank Robinson isn't nasty or rude. He just signs in a very businesslike manner when he's doing shows. He also has one of the nicest looking autographs around.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why after 5 months someone had to explain why Boggs looked like he did.

That is what is confusing me. But then again it does not take much to confuse me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yes, i should clarify that i have no ill feelings towards Frank, and in fact, i am an avid collector of his cards and related items.....i wanted to share the experience with UE, more to the effect of us, as fans with expectations, must occasionally lower them to accomodate reality.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day I ran into Frank Robinson inside the Orioles gift shop at Oriole Park(it was the off-season). My family and I got to say hi to him, and he smiled with a hello back. Seemed like a very nice guy. That was back when he was working for the O's in the front office. None of us had anything for him to sign, not that we wanted to bother him for a sig anyway. It was still a cool experience.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One of the better ways to get a cordial and happy moment with a star is to catch them when a throng of people are hounding them for a free auto

and when it is your turn simply say "I really don't need an auto I'd just like to shake your hand". You would be surprised at the reaction you might get.

This happened to me one day back around 87 after a Jets game and I was with a long time season ticket holder who had an in with someone and was able to

get autos as the players left. Mark Gastineou <sp> was leaving in a lil red hot car with Bridgette Nielson and the throng surrounded him at his door. After everyone got an auto

I simply walked up and said I'd rather just shake your hand, his jaw dropped his hand extended and we shook hands. All the while Bridgett was acting like "can we just get the hell out of here'

And can you blame her? I met Ken O'brien and Freeman McNeil that late afternoon and only got his auto because he was handing pre auto'd cards out.

Just thought I'd share a moment I had.............

Steve
    Good for you.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I was at bar this Summer and Boggs was signing auto's for Miller. I did not know he was going to be there and I was walking in to grab a table. He was so scrawny and frail looking. I am sure he was just in really good shape for his age. The big thing everyone was talking about was how he drank 50-60 Miller's on a West Coast flight.
  • Thanks for clarifying Nick. I can live with that so might reconsider at some time. I had a similar experience with Jim Rice. I knew going in that he had a reputation for being surly and it would probably be a curt businesslike transaction. And it was and I was fine with that. I agree with your point too Steve. If I am meeting someone outside of a card show setting, I'm not really looking for an autograph. I met Warren Moon at the airport about 12 years ago and just went up to him and told him I was a fan and asked if his ribs were feeling any better, considering it was reported they just got banged up the day before. It was a pleasant interaction and then I hightailed it out of there before I was seen as a pest and my image of this guy I always looked up to could change. I suppose expectations plays a large part in how you feel about it.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Guess all the fried chicken finally caught up with him...
  • That Hair Club for Men really seems to have worked for him, huh?

Thank you,
    Jonathan Scheier
    Cataloger - Consignment Director
    Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
    JonathanS@HA.com
    1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at Consign to Heritage Auctions

Connect with Heritage at Connect with Heritage Auctions
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember what kept Boggs in the minors for a while? Boston had Carney Lansford at 3B, and he won a batting title for them in 1981. That year, Boggs won a batting title in AAA. Boston also had another 3B prospect, named Ed Jurak, win a batting title for them in AA the same year.

Nick >>

Then we got rid of him for rising star Scott Cooper...have about 300 of his cards around here, anyone who could replace Boggs must be great!
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it wrong for me to think about not getting his auto at the National because of this pic? I like the guy, big fan, but not sure I want to pay and get that look. Might pay not to get that look. I say this because I am paying more for the experience than the acutal autograph. Probably an isolated incident but with so many options and wanting to feel good about the people we look up to, I might make another choice. Always nice to meet someone you look up to and not feel dorky handing them something to sign and not feel embarrassed to admire them. It's great to show respect for someone and have them treat you like a human being who paid for the privilege of standing next to them and getting their auto and not be made to feel like a pain in the a$$. I can't tell if that's a "You are really a pain in the a$$" look or just "I'm really tired" or a guy being caught off guard because he didn't know a camera was being put in his face. Sometimes a signer can leave you with a feeling that they just want to collect the check and have no interest in interacting with someone who was a fan of their work and that is in my opinion a crappy feeling for the consumer. Anybody have any experience with Wade that they can pass on? Who do you feel have been some of your more enjoyable auto experiences? For me, Eric Dickerson, Len Dawson and Raymond Barry were awesome and the reason I pay a fee to get someone's autograph. >>

I would just be leery of NBA players right now. At an autograph session I would treat them like the soup Nazi from seinfeld. Place your item on the table to be signed, make no eye contact, after he signs pick it up and move on without comment. If you ask an NBA player to personalize the auto or attempt any small talk, you risk taking two or three bullets to the midsection.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.