Home Sports Talk
Options

Joe "Baby Jesus" Mauer MVP a lock ?

What is the national take of this.
Obviously I am a homer, but he just went yard to tie the game, his 28th. Now hitting .374 28 home runs (13 was his career high) with 88 rbi's. He also missed the entire first month of the season if you didnt know.

Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    yes. we know image

baby jesus is his nickname? thats kinda lame, im just saying.

He could very well win MVP now that the tigers are faltering and the twins are at least contending. Its a shame they lost Slowey (easily their best pitcher) otherwise they would have locked up the division by now.
  • Options
    Yeah, Baby Jesus... Our Savior... Not lame at all!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    He's the best player in the American League.

He would have my vote!
  • Options
    Yeah, Baby Jesus... Our Savior... Not lame at all!

He'll be a Yankee in 2 years lol
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    It's a horrible nickname & it's only propogated by KFAN 1130 AM Sports Talk Radio in Twins Cities as a way to poke fun at him, and what people think of him. That he can do no wrong... When you hear them talk about it on radio it gives a better perspective on the context.

Anyway, the team's late push is garnering him a lot more MVP votes then he would have gotten had they gone to six back by losing the first two vs. Detroit. Only 2 games back, and just 4 games above .500 --- pretty fun to follow.

I will tell you another guy nobody outside of a Twins or fantasy basebally die-hard knows about is Jose Morales -- catcher/DH that is hitting around .370 --- the guy can just flat out hit. He has many quality at bats and is getting more chances of late with Morneau out.

Fun to watch!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Greinke to Mauer ----- Cy Young to MVP!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Should be a stone cold lock if the Twins make the playoffs, and may still win it even if they don't.
  • Options

<< <i>He'll be a Yankee in 2 years lol >>

I didn't need to be depressed like that.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Either him or the Yanks 1st baseman.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    tex. for the yanks was doing crappy until Arod started hitting behind him. He's way overrated.
  • Options
    He hit well last year too, did Arod help him then too?

Yeah i read today's paper too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Mauer would have vote.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Mauer seems to be an incredible player, but I think he needs a real nickname.

b
  • Options
    Joe Cool
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    look at Tex's numbers pre/post arod in the lineup, its a huge difference. Mauer has got my vote
  • Options
    Coincidence.

Nothing more.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    How do you explain his numbers for the past 6 seasons then?

They seem to be pretty consistent.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The only guy who calls Joe "Baby Jesus" is a radio idiot, who continues to think RBI is truly the best measure of a man.

Mauer has been far and away the BEST offensive player in the AL this year. However he missed a month and that counts.

I'd still pick Mauer because he has been rediculous, but I'd listen to Tex/Cabrera arguements based on their ability to play all season.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Mauer is the best player. It will be either him or Jeter. The Yankees have far exceeded what most expected so far. I did not think they would have been this good this year. All of the players that people have named have been worthy. This is always an interesting topic. The voters are very inconsistant. Some years if a players' team does not make the playoffs he has no chance at all even if he has the best numbers. Other years this theory is not so true. Mauer is very worthy playing such a demanding position. Is Mauer a great defensive catcher? I really have not looked at him defensively.

Mickey71image
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and by the way. They need to get rid of the nickname. It's got to be embarrassing for him and disrespectful to a large number of folks.-- JMO.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and by the way. They need to get rid of the nickname. It's got to be embarrassing for him and disrespectful to a large number of folks.-- JMO. >>

Totally agree.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, and by the way. They need to get rid of the nickname. It's got to be embarrassing for him and disrespectful to a large number of folks.-- JMO. >>

Totally agree. >>

I third that. He'd get my vote for MVP though.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    what is it with Minnesota and their need to have Jesus in their star players nicknames?> - I've heard Peterson called Purple Jesus, and now Mauer is Baby Jesus? Do they all stem from this idiot radio guy?

Mauer is definitely the AL MVP, whether the Twins win the division or not...they'd be 12 games back without him. Plus Jeter and Tex will probably split the first place votes for those that think a Yankee should be MVP this year, further helping Mauer's cause.
  • Options
    Jesus would be proud to have Joe Mauer roll with that nickname.... If it REALLY bothers you, why? I can think of alot of nicknames that are derogatory, that one is not. Anyways, I have to think with this run the Twins are on, its a lock. I hope so he deserves it.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe, if he gets his BA to .400 image.

Actually, if the Twins win the division, Mauer should be a lock.
  • Options
    Using Jesus doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the apparent lack of originality in Minnesota.

What's next? Big Al Jesus? (Al Jefferson for you non-basketball fans).
  • Options
    The hasnt been a basketball player here worth a nickname since The Big Ticket. I havent watched the Wolves since, couldnt care less.

By the way Joe just hit a go ahead double. I think its a lock regardless at this point.

By the way, Joe Mauer is not leaving the Twins for any team. There is no way Twins management will allow this, the new stadium would be EMPTY if they got rid of Mauer. Period.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Mauer is the best player. It will be either him or Jeter. The Yankees have far exceeded what most expected so far. I did not think they would have been this good this year. All of the players that people have named have been worthy. This is always an interesting topic. The voters are very inconsistant. Some years if a players' team does not make the playoffs he has no chance at all even if he has the best numbers. Other years this theory is not so true. Mauer is very worthy playing such a demanding position. Is Mauer a great defensive catcher? I really have not looked at him defensively.

Mickey71image >>

He is a very good catcher, good arm, great backstop.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>
    By the way, Joe Mauer is not leaving the Twins for any team. There is no way Twins management will allow this, the new stadium would be EMPTY if they got rid of Mauer. Period. >>

You do realize how the Pujols fans sound when they make claims like this right?

• Options
    Not the same my friend... Albert is one heck of a player, but there is alot of difference between the two situations. Mauer is from Minnesota, now I havent checked Alberts profile, but something tells me he is not a St. Louis Native...

No way he leaves... Watch and see... The Twins will pay this kid.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    I agree. There is ZERO chance that Mauer plays for anybody but the Twins.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greinke to Mauer ----- Cy Young to MVP! >>

Future Yankee battery? Add Lincecum in 2012 and Yankees should be around 300 million payroll and 30 World Championships......
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I hope you guys are right about Joe staying, but I think his decision will come down to more than money. The Twins lack of leadership in the front office is a major problem.
  • Options
    You are probably closer to the Twins situation than I am, but what is wrong with their front office? Seems like they compete every year with a payroll that is 1/3 to 1/2 of that of the big boys. I'd even argue that the poo poo platter of players they got by trading away Santana was the right move, as Santana has already started to break down, and hasn't nearly been as dominant for the Mets as he was for the Twins, even pitching in the watered down National League.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Twins front office, even though folks think GM Bill Smith is under-qualified. He made a nice pick-up with Orlando Cabrera and bolstered their bullpen with some improved arms down the stretch.

Anyway, I would be very surprised if Mauer left Minnesota. The fact that he's born & raised here with so much family support and his younger brother a minor league manager....I don't see it happening. He'd probably take $50MM less to stay with Twins... No way with the new stadium he's let go. They already offered Johan Santan $20MM a year and that was turned down. I say he signs for $150MM over seven years...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    The Twins need to spend some money, if they did that + kept their young talent they would be in the playoffs every damn year. Heck they might even win a series or two.
  • Options
    I'd wager it should be a lock now.