Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Could this be a Silver Shekel of Tyre?

This came with a coin collection many years ago. I do not know anything about ancients, so one day I decided to look on line. The coin was put in a holder by me, and I labeled it with what I found. I am away from home, so I cannot weigh it until I return. Can anyone look at the picture and tell what is it or is it impossible without holding it or at least knowing its weight. I have a great scale and will weigh it when I get off work. Sorry for the poor pictures, I plan on upgrading my camera someday.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It is a Shekel of Tyre, the big question you want to ask is: "Is is genuine?"

I don't see anything in those pics that suggest to me that it is not, but there are many, many fakes of this type of varying quality. I'm interested in knowing the weight.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Its in the evening at my fire station on Sat night. Tomorrow morning, when I am off duty, I will weigh it and list the weight. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    This coin weighs 11.2 grams, not sure if this helps in determining if its real or not.
  • Options
    Looks as good as many of these, but I wouldn't know how to verify it's authenticity.

Isn't there a list on another site of known counterfeits for comparison? I'll check around and see if I can come up with it.
  • Options
    The FORVM site has a list of fakes to use for reference. Not at all saying it's fake, just providing some reference for research.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link to the site. The only real way to find out is to send it in to PCGS.

Thanks
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DON'T send it to PCGS. You'll just lose $20+ in shipping because PCGS doesn't certify ancient coins. I recommend sending it to NGC or ANACS.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>DON'T send it to PCGS. You'll just lose $20+ in shipping because PCGS doesn't certify ancient coins. I recommend sending it to NGC or ANACS. >>

I'm not sure about ANACS bu NGC does not guarantee the authenticy. I would just wait until a show and see what the ancient coin dealer thinks. That, or go to forumancientcoins and see what they think, providing good pics, weight, size, ET.

stainless
  • Options
    It seems like I have seen ancients in PCGS holders. NGC would be fine, thanks for the info
  • Options

<< <i>It seems like I have seen ancients in PCGS holders. NGC would be fine, thanks for the info >>

There are Ancients in PCGS holders, however they don't fully attribute them. It would be like buying a slabed 1938 MS 65 Buffalo Nickel, but the slab only says "Buffalo Nickel".

stainless