Home U.S. Coin Forum

Alison Frankel Interview on 1933 $20 - NPR

National Public Radio (NPR) on Talk of the Nation broadcast an interview with Alison Frankel at 3:00 PM EST September 16, 2009. A transcript can be found on the NPR web site.

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard the interview, I drove 600 miles yesterday, not much else to do. She did a nice interview. Interesting that she is not a coin collector at all, she write about lawyers.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I find it incredible that the announcer made so many mistakes leading up to the interview.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, She's saying that the Langbord's Lawyer told them to send them to the Mint anticipating that they would be confiscated? Huh. Why would he do that? So he could make a ton of money representing them? This doesn't make sense.

I guess there's another book in the woeks.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, She's saying that the Langbord's Lawyer told them to send them to the Mint anticipating that they would be confiscated? Huh. Why would he do that? So he could make a ton of money representing them? This doesn't make sense.

I guess there's another book in the woeks. >>

I thought because he represented the Farouk coin in some way and it helped make him the most money. I was confused on that also.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Sanction II can explain the strategy.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Berke clearly has the most experience dealing with this issue and that is certainly why the Langbord family went to him.

His motives in suggesting that the coins be given to the mint for authentication are only speculated on.

As of this date, he certainly seems like he knew what he was doing.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, She's saying that the Langbord's Lawyer told them to send them to the Mint anticipating that they would be confiscated? Huh. Why would he do that? So he could make a ton of money representing them? This doesn't make sense. >>

Rick,

I listened to the interview as well. What she said specifically was that in order to shift the burden of proof to the government, they needed a ruling in their favor showing that the government illegally seized the coins. Sending the coins to the Mint was actually a clever move on his part. He correctly assumed that the Mint would not return the coins, laying the groundwork for the aforementioned important aspect of his litigation. It was a trap, and it worked.

From the other side of the coin, if this action had not been taken, the burden of proof would have remained with the Langbords to prove that they obtained the coins legally. Surely a no-win scenario.

• Can anyone be so kind to make a recap for me?
    How many of these 1933 Eagles are known to exist?

1 - from the King Farouk auctioned at 7some Mil.
    2 - at the Smithsonians
    10 - Langbord's

13, is that it? (to me they will be more than enough image )
    I lost the count...sorry...

<< <i>13, is that it? (to me they will be more than enough image )
    I lost the count...sorry... >>

If you watch the Goldman interview on the PCGS front page, it would be easy to infer from his comments that there is yet another floating around out there somewhere.
  • Do you have a link, Matt? I am not able to find it.
    Or you meant in the magazine? I haven't it either.
    Newbie...sorry!
    Just go to the PCGS.com home page. In the upper right hand corner, there is a video. Below it, it says: Jaime Hernandez gathers Bowers, Sundman and Goldman for a roundtable at Summer ANA.
  • Got it! Thank you! I was looking for a text article.

Thanks again.
  • BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is another "floating" around.

NPR, that is a funny one.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Langbord family turning possession of the 10 coins to the government has been discussed at length on the forums.

Some (myself include) has surmised, speculated, etc. that doing so was part of a brilliant and complex strategy on the part of the family and Mr. Berke. There is some appeal in speculating that the Langbords and their lawyers "outfoxed" or "outsmarted" the government, resulting in the government obtaining and keeping the coins, only later to be told by a court that the government was wrong and that it should have filed [and now must file] a forfeiture proceeding.

No such strategy exists.

I understand that the government requested that the family provide the coins to it [so they could be authenticated] in connection with settlement discussions and that the family did so, while specifically reserving all of their rights. The family did not know that the government would simply keep the coins.

Once the government announced that it had and would not return the coins, subsequent events took place which led us all to the place everyone is at today [the government being required to file a forfeiture proceeding against the coins], which is the same place everyone should have been four years ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file