Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

100% set completion, finally..

After 5+ years I finally reached 100% completion in my Thurman Munson Master Set. It was a challenging yet rewarding endeavor. I would like to thank all of those who I purchased cards from along the way in helping to make this possible.

http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=24277

Comments

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG ... now enjoy the set!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice set!

As a Canton native myself, I've always had a special spot in my heart for Thurman Munson. I also frequent his son's bar/grille in North Canton, called Munson's Home Plate. Good stuff!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    It is a nice set .

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!!!
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is some work you put in for that set! Congratulations!!

I also am a Canton Native, although I didn't know about his son's bar in N Canton... How long has that been there? I need to get there next time I am in town
  • Options
    Congrats! I wish you had the pleasure of putting some 80's cards in your collection. Thurman was the man. He got taken way too soon.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Cuda
    Very nice set ! I am curious about the Yankee Schedules which you have listed in your set ? Are these season schedules for that years games , and I'm assuming Munson is pictured on them ? I did not realize Psa graded these , as this is the first time I have noticed these in a Player Set Registry ! Would really like to see a scan of one of these !
    Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! That is some work you put in for that set! Congratulations!!

I also am a Canton Native, although I didn't know about his son's bar in N Canton... How long has that been there? I need to get there next time I am in town >>

His bar is on Dressler in Belden Village, just south of The Strip and the Hall of Fame Bridge. Good food, better beer, and a nice atmosphere.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Congrats. Thurman was one of my favorite players. Judging by the cards in the set, that is some accomplishment.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge congrats on your accomplishment!! Please consider scanning the remainder of your set, I'd really like to see the variations in all the cards/discs.

Sad day when he died, I don't recall all the details, but as I recall, his Cessna Citation was a bit short on power on final approach. Unlike a convential prop plane, it takes a few seconds for a jet to spin up...really a tragedy.
  • Options
    Congrats!!!

It must feel really good to finish any set.... Enjoy your complete set! image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Huge congrats on your accomplishment!! Please consider scanning the remainder of your set, I'd really like to see the variations in all the cards/discs.

Sad day when he died, I don't recall all the details, but as I recall, his Cessna Citation was a bit short on power on final approach. Unlike a convential prop plane, it takes a few seconds for a jet to spin up...really a tragedy. >>

The interesting part of the story is that Munson had asked his two best friends on the team (Bobby Murcer and Lou Piniella) to accompany him. Not sure they would've been in the plane during his touch and go practice (take off and landing exercises), but it tragedy could've been even worse had they been...
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the congrats, I appreciate it. image

MCMLVTopps and Robby - I'm in the process of getting all the remaining cards scanned and posted, sort of a tedious process that I really should have instead been doing as the submissions were slowly being added along the way but got lazy about, I hope to get them all posted by this weekend.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Really nice set. I love the title.

Some very impressive 1 of 1 example 10's, (especially the '75 and '79 Hostess, the '77 OPC), and the highest graded versions of the '75 OPC and '78 Hostess.
  • Options
    Congrats on a great accomplishment! Now that it's complete, will you continue to upgrade this set or just enjoy it as is?
    Keith
  • Options
    GDM67 – interesting you should mention the title as I was never really a huge fan of it but couldn’t think of a new title at the time so I “borrowed” it from the espn series about the 1977 yankees when it aired 2-3 years ago, so far I haven’t been sued for copyright..lol, am contemplating renaming it. Some very nice card sets in your registry, great job.

Keith – I may try to upgrade a few cards if/when the opportunity exists, also would like to finish out the set by eventually adding a few more yankee team cards. Some really nice cards you have in your ’57 set, it’s coming along nicely.

Also some very impressive card sets by Tom, jeffcbay, and FavreFan1971 -- great job as well.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Nice set and I bet quite challanging.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)