Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question regarding Pro Line certified auto cards

Are there any fakes out there with the certified stamp?

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the answer is Yes. If I recall there was a scam with the stamped auto card from the 1990's that Fleer and Pro-Line used.
    Mike
  • Options
    I have heard there are fake 1994 Fleer Steve Young Autographs with the embossed stamp, but none of them I have seen on eBay have been obvious fakes. Young's signature has changed a little over the years, but it is pretty consistent in time periods. As in his '94's should appear kind of crunched, little letters to his name other then the S and Y, compared to his current sig., which I like to think has a roundish flow to it.

The Pro Line signature cards are different. They do not have the card number the regular card has.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Yes they fake the Proline Stamps and there are many with Score Board stamps. I think often times the real ones do not have the #1 in the green box and the Team NFL Writing on the lower right corner of the back.
  • Options
    If you have seen Matt's thread, you know the 1994 Pro Line (and up) has completely different backs....(maybe 93 up?). The early ones the cards themselves are different and different year may be different, but here is a 1992 Jerry Glanville.

Note card is numbered "3 of 9" rather then whatever it's card number would be in the regular set.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    yeppers....
  • Options
    Regarding 91 and 92 Proline autos, someone made a fake stamp and went to town. As far as I know there's no way to tell the difference other than judging the autograph itself (the fakes are real bad). I discovered this when I thought about putting a set together and decided it was too much of a pain in the balls to wade through all the fakes out there.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that some "signers" used an autopen instead, including Jack Kemp.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Jim Kelly autopen these also?
  • Options
    1993 pro line TROY AIKMAN = AUTO PEN

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Just came across these. This guy has almost 300 Pro Line autos ending tonight. He doesn't even show pics of the autos.

Link
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have seen Matt's thread, you know the 1994 Pro Line (and up) has completely different backs....(maybe 93 up?). The early ones the cards themselves are different and different year may be different, but here is a 1992 Jerry Glanville. >>

Yep. 93 and 94's don't have a stamp at all. The card back is in essence the "stamp".
  • Options

<< <i>If you have seen Matt's thread, you know the 1994 Pro Line (and up) has completely different backs....(maybe 93 up?). The early ones the cards themselves are different and different year may be different, but here is a 1992 Jerry Glanville.

Note card is numbered "3 of 9" rather then whatever it's card number would be in the regular set. >>

The Glanville is from Pro Line Profiles, the base are numbered like that since each coach/player has nine different cards
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    Of course, using the card back as certification doesn't guarantee anything either. Some of you may remember my thread where I realized I once bought a fake 1994 Pro Line Live Brett Favre auto. The seller took a base Favre and affixed a back from another auto card on it. He then counterfeited Favre's sig and I ended up winning it.

I realized it was fake after 2 years when I decided to build the set. Believe it or not, I contacted the seller and with a little persuasion, he gave me my $70.00 back.
  • Options

<< <i>Of course, using the card back as certification doesn't guarantee anything either. Some of you may remember my thread where I realized I once bought a fake 1994 Pro Line Live Brett Favre auto. The seller took a base Favre and affixed a back from another auto card on it. He then counterfeited Favre's sig and I ended up winning it.

I realized it was fake after 2 years when I decided to build the set. Believe it or not, I contacted the seller and with a little persuasion, he gave me my $70.00 back. >>

That I believe was quite the exception and I still believe that ALL of the pro line autos have different backs. The 1991's do not have the regular card number. The only exception would be when Score Board had them signed, most of which (signed aftermarket cards) were sold on the QVC for ~$50.00 each. I am not sure if they used any regular Pro Line's but if they did they would have normal backs. (Score Board/Pro Line being the same company). For Steve Young, QBC sold four different signed cards. A 1989 Topps. a 1995 NFL Experience, a 1992 Pro Line Quarterbacks Gold and a 1992? Stadium Club.

Speaking of these QBC signed cards, they go fairly cheap on ebay. The Young's often go for only around $10 as no one knows what they are. I know Aikman, Irvan, Kosar and others were also available. A lot of different 1989 Topps cards, all I think which were signed and numbered to 1989, and there were several of the 1992 Pro Line Quarterback Gold cards also signed, perhaps the whole set.

Clear Skies,
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you have seen Matt's thread, you know the 1994 Pro Line (and up) has completely different backs....(maybe 93 up?). The early ones the cards themselves are different and different year may be different, but here is a 1992 Jerry Glanville.

Note card is numbered "3 of 9" rather then whatever it's card number would be in the regular set. >>

The Glanville is from Pro Line Profiles, the base are numbered like that since each coach/player has nine different cards >>

The base in the normal set have the sub set 3 of 9 like number and a regular card number. Also, here is a 1991 Pro Line, note no card number. We could go through all the early Pro Line auto sets but they ALL have different cards.

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Some players had help signing the cards also. One of the Steelers' defensive backs (can't remember which one) had his wife sign and walter payton had help for sure.
  • Options
    So what do you guys think of this seller's stuff?

Link
  • Options

<< <i>So what do you guys think of this seller's stuff?

Link >>

I would say it's probably legit. He has many years worth of the stuff which tells me his was big into collecting them.

I won two of his auctions yesterday. I'll be able to update the thread upon receipt.
  • Options

<< <i>

Link >>

I would say it's probably legit. He has many years worth of the stuff which tells me his was big into collecting them.

I won two of his auctions yesterday. I'll be able to update the thread upon receipt. >>

I agree. They appear to be legit with stamps and all. A bunch sold yesterday from him for $0.99.
  • Options

<< <i>

Link >>

I won two of his auctions yesterday. I'll be able to update the thread upon receipt. >>

Well then, I think he left a lot of money on the table by not showing the side of the card with the auto's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link >>

Well then, I think he left a lot of money on the table by not showing the side of the card with the auto's. >>

Cards are legit. I got them today. Fast shipping I might add as well. Good seller.
  • Options
    The 1991 and 1992 set are two of the best auto sets in football. These sets, I've wanted to put together for awhile. The fakes out there make me worry. Thanks for linking that seller, I bid on two of his cards!