Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PayPal instills such confidence when being screwed by a buyer.....

Just got a dispute for a $1000.00+ piece of paper money. "Buyer" won't return note until he gets a refund. Trying to find out how to go about responding to the claims of the "buyer" I came across this:

I'm not optimistic.....

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you in the right paypoo?

I see the same images but not the bad grammar. I mention this because I wonder if someone hit you with a fraudulent site?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Is this page from Paypal's site? The misspellings and poor grammar seem suspect.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely on PayPal's site. I always type the address in the bar.

I just duplicated the results. The image is still there.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    That is classic. Outsourcing at its best.
  • Options
    Very strange... I just checked it out and see the same page without the grammar errors. I'm less trusting of them every day, I'm sorry to say. Something that maybe they corrected?

Added; As to the claim, I've only ever had to do one or two, but I would make PP take the money rather than willingly hand it over without the note returned. It's a tough spot, for sure.
  • Options

<< <i>Very strange... I just checked it out and see the same page without the grammar errors. I'm less trusting of them every day, I'm sorry to say. Something that maybe they corrected?

Added; As to the claim, I've only ever had to do one or two, but I would make PP take the money rather than willingly hand it over without the note returned. It's a tough spot, for sure. >>

Yeah, that's my stance too. Buyer is claiming some nonsense about a fold being on the note when there's obviously not one in the eBay photo. So I suspect at best I can hope to receive an empty package or some other garbage as his "return" with Delivery confirmation on it and then PayPal will funnel away the funds it has already seized.

I logged in about 5 minutes after receiving the notice and they had the nerve to post a little splash page that said, "Looks like you have a balance due to us" or something along those lines (since the amount in my account was less than the charge back).

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Hey Josh,

I always find it best to call PayPal on the phone if something of this magnitude occurs. You should NOT refund anything before receiving the merchandise back. PayPal may put the disputed amount on hold, but I would not voluntarily refund until merchandise is in hand.

Also, when you get the supposed merchandise back, ask to open it in the presence of a postal supervisor so they can witness the contents. If the contents are NOT what they should be, have the postal supervisor write a statement stating what WAS in the parcel (they cannot state what it should have been, since only you and the buyer know that, but they can affirm what the contents were; be specific) on USPS letterhead, sign it, and datestamp it. You can then fax it to PayPal. It's not a 100% guarantee that you won't be screwed, but it got me out of a bait-and-switch issue a few years back...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Very strange... I just checked it out and see the same page without the grammar errors. I'm less trusting of them every day, I'm sorry to say. Something that maybe they corrected?

Added; As to the claim, I've only ever had to do one or two, but I would make PP take the money rather than willingly hand it over without the note returned. It's a tough spot, for sure. >>

Yeah, that's my stance too. Buyer is claiming some nonsense about a fold being on the note when there's obviously not one in the eBay photo. So I suspect at best I can hope to receive an empty package or some other garbage as his "return" with Delivery confirmation on it and then PayPal will funnel away the funds it has already seized.

I logged in about 5 minutes after receiving the notice and they had the nerve to post a little splash page that said, "Looks like you have a balance due to us" or something along those lines (since the amount in my account was less than the charge back). >>

Ouch! So they already took the money back? It'll work out eventually, I'm sure. It's the aggravation that no one needs. Maybe the buyer just has remorse and needs the money back more than the note, I've heard that senario a few times. Best of luck, wish I could be of some help.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem with Paypal as well. I bought an item, turned out to be a fake. Paypal required me to send the fake coin back before I could get a refund, which I did. Then Paypal says, Oh the buyer doesn't have any money in their bank account, so we only are liable for part of the cost ($200 I think). Buyer was Naru'd on ebay, but was selling again a few months later, I email paypal to garnish the money back, nothing every happened. Ever since I have used a credit card for every transaction.

Good luck.
  • Options
    It's not just you...

edited to add... this probably won't make you feel any better, but last year, I had a buyer make a SNAD claim and PayPal refunded their money from my account before the item was returned. PP has also told me that they do not require buyers to cooperate with sellers when it comes to filing insurance claims- in fact, I had one buyer who refused to complete the claim form I sent or even contact me by email at all because he said PP told him not to. Good luck.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I had a situation a lot like this with Paypal and an idiot buyer, I feel for you Josh!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That really sucks, I hope it eventually turns out ok.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope things turn out well for you, as that is a significant amount of money not to mention time and worry associated with the whole thing.
  • Options
    We'll see how it all plays out. There are so many ebay/paypal straws on this camel's back I don't know how many more it can take.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Dan,

A couple of good ideas there. Will have to use the opening in the presence of a Postal Supervisor idea.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan,

A couple of good ideas there. Will have to use the opening in the presence of a Postal Supervisor idea. >>

Email the buyer (or get his phone number and call him) of this note, and advise him that the return package will be opened in the presence of the Postmaster. Also advise them that the USPS takes a dim view of mail fraud, especially fraud in amounts of $1,000+ . . . . . i.e. gaol time.

good luck.