Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Eight '99 Passing the Torch autographs auctioned last night

I love the set so I always keep a close watch when the cards are offered. A seller sold 8 of the cards from the set last night. For those of you who may have missed it, here are the totals:

Payton/Sanders: $2,024
Unitas/Manning: $1,326
Payton: $861.51
Unitas: $450
Smith/Taylor: $330
Carter/Moss: $260
Sanders: $202.50
Manning: $169.75

Total: $5,623.76

Comments

• Way over book on a few of those.Strong sales for the seller.Do you think the prices would have been stronger if he had spaced them out one or two a week to give buyers time restock some funds?
    Mike

• << <i>Way over book on a few of those.Strong sales for the seller.Do you think the prices would have been stronger if he had spaced them out one or two a week to give buyers time restock some funds?
    Mike >>

FWIW there was an additional Payton/Sanders listed as well as another Smith/Taylor before these auctions closed. From the time I've been tracking them I have learned the prices fluctuate. I once picked up a Moss single signed for less than half of the previous sale from a month earlier. I've also seen the Unitas single signed sell for over $700. Not sure if he would've made more, though. They are strong sells and with a production of 100 signed per card you should get a good amount regardless of how they are listed. Personally I would've closed the auctions before 3 AM ET but that's just me.
  • I agree about the closing time.I am one of the old school guys that hasn't used a sniping program yet.
    Mike
  • I have to say that the "book" value on these is almost obsolete. It all starts with the Payton/Sanders and the Manning/Unitas. You've got to figure once people have bought those two, it's a matter of time before they get the rest. This is one of the top sets(2nd to Legends)of 1990's inserts.