Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

In time for Kickoff... 1994 Finest Refractor FB Complete

Picked up this Shannon Sharpe a couple of weeks ago to finish off the 220 card 1994 Finest Football Refractor Set. This is the first ever football refractor series. I've been wotrking on it on and off for about 3 years. Probably more off - in any case its actually the first complete set of football cards I've ever put together of any kind.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
saucywombat@hotmail.com

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, it's always nice to complete a set.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Congrats - although the Sharpe looks miscut - if you are looking to get it graded at all.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Those cards are hard to find centered, usually top to bottom. Every Emmitt refractor I have from that set is off.

• << <i>Those cards are hard to find centered, usually top to bottom. Every Emmitt refractor I have from that set is off. >>

Same with the Young refractors....although the Young's tend to be right to left as well as top to bottom.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    The centering on alot of the cards tend to be fairly similar to the Sharpe above. I'll definetly need another for grading at some point. I have been putting this set together on the registry as well.

I think the Farve may be the most difficult to find dead center. Marino is tough as well.

Montana seems to suffer from a dark image though it wouldn't affect the grade. It does look worse than the other cards though.

I have an Emmitt PSA 10.

Young I have several in 9.

I have a Young and E. Smith on Ebay ending today in fact.

Its a great looking set and being the first football of its kind, I'm a little surprised there isn't more interest. Probably b/c like all Finest issues from the 90's there are no RC's to speak of.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Dave...just won your Young and Barry this evening.

Mark
    I remembered when you finished this set. Do you still have it?
  • arexarex Posts: 999
    Congrats on putting the set together!
    How often were the refractors in packs? We're they one a box or seeded at a higher clip than that?
    And how does it compare the baseball refractors?
    Again congrats!
    Arex

<< <i>I remembered when you finished this set. Do you still have it? >>

I do. Have been a little slack in getting these things graded the last several years.

I know I have helped a couple of people who have contacted my through the set registry complete raw sets they were working on.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
    In 1994 the baseball refractor set was 440 cards vs. 220 for football. They were produced in similar quantities so I'd say there are roughly 2x as many football refractors for '94 vs. baseball.

Like the '94 baseball I believe they were two per box.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

<< <i>

<< <i>I remembered when you finished this set. Do you still have it? >>

I do. Have been a little slack in getting these things graded the last several years.

I know I have helped a couple of people who have contacted my through the set registry complete raw sets they were working on. >>

Glad to hear you still have it.

I collect the Cowboys refractors when I see them on ebay. I have an Emmitt Smith psa 9 in my set that I had raw for years. Acutally I had two but sold one on ebay for a high bin. I've seen a few 10's pop up but my 9 is good enough for me especially seeing how much the 10's go for.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I did this set too, there are a handful that are impossible to find. My last card was Derrick Thomas which took me like a year and a half to find. I'm surprised these early refractor sets (94 & 95) haven't really ever taken off.

Lee
    Based on my experience and those who have contacted me looking for cards -

Derrick Thomas, Art Monk and Glyn Milburn are all very tough
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • I'm hoping to land the 94 Tippett refractor very soon. I'm actually not that big a fan of "chromey" cards in general, but this design was sweet!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to finish a toughie image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I'm hoping to land the 94 Tippett refractor very soon. >>

Incoming! image

<< <i>Like the '94 baseball I believe they were two per box. >>

Correct. 1994 Finest Football Refractors were seeded 1:9 packs (24 packs to a box). I opened a lot of these boxes over the years with most boxes containing 3, but a small percentage only 2.

While I don't particularly like the 1994 Finest base design, I did put the Refractor set together given these were the first (in football) and how popular the technology is, even 20 years later.

Lee is spot on... a few are definitely way harder to find and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the set with only top stars consistently getting multiple bids.

Snorto~