Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I've been reading a little this evening on the subject of crime and punishment in early medieval England. I do recall learning some of this in history class, but dismissed most as far-fetched. The Trial by Ordeals in particular come to mind.image

So I guess hanging was a more humane punishment, although seemingly harsh.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Might I suggest reading a series of books called "The Baroque Cycle" by Neal Stephenson. It's historically based fiction, series of three books, and is filled with coin references including European coinage and quite a lot on the London mint, coinage problems in England and counterfeiting.
  • Options

<< <i>Might I suggest reading a series of books called "The Baroque Cycle" by Neal Stephenson. It's historically based fiction, series of three books, and is filled with coin references including European coinage and quite a lot on the London mint, coinage problems in England and counterfeiting. >>

Thanks, I'll check it out.image

This subject has me curious now.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eloye Mestrelle:

Nicholas Briot:

Unlike Mestrelle, Briot kept his head, but his new monarch, Charles I, did not, he lost his on 30 January, 1649.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Unlike Mestrelle, Briot kept his head, but his new monarch, Charles I, did not, he lost his on 30 January, 1649. image

SA, I love the subtlety of the Briot background....nice thistle and shield usage. image
  • Options

Those are very impressive, SaorAlba!image

I'm still wondering about the details of Mestrell's counterfeiting charges. Anyone have any further info?
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    From what I remember reading, it seemed that the charges were trumped up - it was more a political problem - he was seen as alligned with the wrong people.

I believe he was pushing for the continued milling of coinage against the wishes of other powerful forces (he was not English and his methods/equipment came from the continent) and they used examples of his other works on new methods of minting coinage to produce the charges.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Farthing,

That's the thought that I had, that he possibly continued to work on the process in order to "up" production or improve upon the process. That could be considered counterfeiting if not sanctioned by the mint officials.

I read somewhere that the mint paid him something like 25 pounds a year for his services, would that have been worth the risk I wonder? (assuming he wanted to continue pursuing that job, that is)
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eloye Mestrelle fell on hard times after he was dismissed from the mint, from what I read he was alleged to have thence counterfeited contemporary coinages. But as others noted, he was not English, and this being Elizabethan times, charges were levelled for very political views and not actual crimes. Anybody that really knows is not talking unfortunately, they are all pushing up marigolds I am afraid.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Eloye Mestrelle fell on hard times after he was dismissed from the mint, from what I read he was alleged to have thence counterfeited contemporary coinages. But as others noted, he was not English, and this being Elizabethan times, charges were levelled for very political views and not actual crimes. Anybody that really knows is not talking unfortunately, they are all pushing up marigolds I am afraid. >>

Thanks for the info. It often surprises me that so much detail is available about seemingly obscure events and people from so long ago. Glad it's out there, but it still amazes me the amount of info that is there for the asking. (Heck, I often can't remember what I did yesterdayimage)