Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What was platinum worth in 1828?

That's when Russia started using platinum in its coinage.

Bonus question: What was it worth in 1814?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    In whose currencyimage

U.S. would probably be $.50

US Platinum $.50
  • Options
    I am not sure of the price but I would guess that the price was weighed in pounds instead of ounces. I am basing this on what a coin shop owner back in California told me. Platinum back in the 1800's primary use was as a use for lightning rods and had no real value as a precious metal like gold or even silver (which are currently used in almost everything cutting edge tech; medical, computers, space exploration, implants and even the quest for artificial intelligence). I am interested in seeing the responses and the answers to this question as well as a rebuttal to its current high tech uses like gold currently has in the modern world. If the world economy completely collapsed would platinum hold its value in trading/bartering as compared to silver and gold?

Rick

Edited to say when I said pounds not ounces I am talking weight, not value or other English means of value... Boy those confuse me~! Platinum may have even been traded in tons much like modern iron does today (from what I have heard)...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In whose currencyimage

U.S. would probably be $.50

US Platinum $.50 >>

"This coin was also described by R. Coulton Davis in his work Patterns and Experimental Issues of the United States Mint, which appeared as a series in The Coin Collectors’ Journal from July 1885 to January 1887. 3. Ex: Nick Parker (per Don Taxay); currently untraced."

Does this mean this specimen is untraced, or Don Taxay is currently untraced ??? imageimageimage
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    If there ever was a coin I would reach for this would be the one. But unfortunately even a 40 foot extension ladder would not put me in position to purchase
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Just a guess ... 1814 ... 1 troy oz Pt = 1 pound, 5 shillings
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess about $12 per troy ounce or a little more or less.

It's always been prized for its very high melting temperature
    and a few other characteristics.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it got under $8 at some point.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Platinum back in the 1800's primary use was as a use for lightning rods >>

I want some of them lightining rods. image
  • Options
    Crunching some numbers between a Russian 12 Rouble (Platinum) and a contemporary gold 5 Rouble, Sovereign, and Half Eagle:

10.82 Roubles per oz.

1/9s/6d per oz.

$7.19 per oz.

I used an 1836 half eagle since the 1828 was undervalued at the time relative to its gold content. The Russian and British standards remained the same during this period.
    "Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    <<It's always been prized for its very high melting temperature>>

and despised by some for that very same reason.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<It's always been prized for its very high melting temperature>>

and despised by some for that very same reason. >>

Indeed.

It was typical for laboratory crucibles back in the day but
    now is usually too expensive or too difficult to hold onto.
    Tempus fugit.