Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

(POLL) Should a RB &/or RD bonus be added for AU coins in the new Everyman copper sets?

Anyone else think there should be a bonus for RB &/or RD in the Everyman Copper sets? image

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They designate color for circulated coins? image
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that just a mechanical errorimage

For Lincoln cents, there is 157 designated 'RD' cents in circulated grades, and 5 'RB'. If they are correct designation, shouldn't it be the other way aroundimage

Can you show a slab graded VGRDimage

• Options
    They definitely grade AU58RB Lincolns.
  • Options
    I would think only a few AUs could be RD, but a decent number of AUs and XFs could be RB. Both terms describe what basically amounts to mint luster, which by ANA grading standards can still be present.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had several less than AU and lower graded "red" coins....If the experts put it on the label....why not? Could be a great tie breaker to see how many you could find with a R&B or RED designation.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they put the RB or RD on slabs in the circulated grades. If anyone has pics of slabs to prove me wrong, great. What is most likely going in is that with the genius PCGS coin numbering system that assigns a different coin number to a BN, RB and RD coin, they occasionally assign a RB or RD coin number to a circulated coin. Seems to happen alot with circulated Lincolns since when submitted you use the RD coin number by default and with IHCs you use the RB coin number. The RD or RB isn't on the slab, but when put into the Registry, the designation will show up for any grade with that RB or RD coin number. I have a few genuine coins that show up as RD or RB when put in the Registry depending on which coin number PCGS assigned to it.
  • Options
    1936 DDO # 3 XF 45 RED is the coin I once owned and is now owned by another forum member. I did not keep a picture. It was bought off of Ebay. The coin Number list it as Red and gives the Extra bonus as well. Notice there are 4 VF's, 1 Xf 40 and 2 VF45 and 1 that is a AU 58.
    72650 1936 1C Dbld Die Obv-Type 3 MSRD 4 1 2 1 2 8 62 244 1,614 193 2,131

This is not to be confused with BRNs. They are listed here
    72648 1936 1C Dbld Die Obv-Type 3 MSBN 2 7 48 36 24 7 2 2 4 2 2 3 139

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1936 DDO # 3 XF 45 RED is the coin I once owned >>

But did it say RD on the holder??? or did it just use the RD coin number? And most importantly, what color was the coin?? image
  • Options
    It said red on the holder, and gave you the extra bonus points for a red coin when listed. It was of course a brown coin.

WS
  • Options
    Guys. I was actually referring to the coins that were noted as RB or RD on the holder that were actually RB or RD.

I think I had at least 1 AU58RD but I know for a fact I had SEVERAL AU58RB's noted on the holder (& all of them were the color noted).
  • Options
    I have a AU58RD coin and wish I didn't. Trying to do a AU58BN set and thought it was just a mistake and thought PCGS would fix it, but they said, "nope, if it says RD, it is RD"

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=44287&ac=1

look at the 29-S. I will upload a pic if I can find it

• Options
    29-S AU58RD

Paul,

Does it look RED?
  • Options
    looks as red as some of the other reds I had that I thought were a little brownish. Let me see if I can get the picture. I think the person who made it, make 5 or 6 AU58RD 29-S's at the same time. I thought it was a mistake too, but PCGS doesn't think so

yea, how did the ms60 get in there?!?!? I just had PCGS "add the best coin" when creating the set.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had several less than AU and lower graded "red" coins....If the experts put it on the label....why not? >>

Because they don't add the color designation consistently.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Roger's link is to the REGULAR 1909-1958 Lincoln business strike group. The EVERYMAN"S 1909-1958 Lincoln business strike group is in another area and is correct in that the MS60 coin is NOT listed.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    As long as it is noted on the holder (coin number & all) & it is not a mechanical error & it is genuinely readily apparent that the color designation was not made by error, I think there should be a bonus. image
  • Options
    They should weight red and brown over brown. I agree, there more than likely will not be red au's unless there were a few Lincolns that might make the grade like an 09 VDB or something of that nature. --Liz
  • Options
    Wouldn't that simply be taking advantage of a labeling error, since circulated coins are not supposed to have color designations?

Nice sets BigRick.
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    According to PCGS, AU coins CAN have color. I tried to get me AU58RD re-holdered, and they said that it was good