Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Chiefs HOF - would like to start the set

I'm a homer and always will be, so I have to show love for my Chiefs and Royals...no matter how ugly it gets. There is currently an all-time Chiefs set on the registry, but it leaves off many of the Ring Of Honor guys (Chiefs HOF), so I would like to start this set. Unforunately there are a few members that I just can't come up with a cardboard issue for them.

Here is a list of what I have now. Of the players that are in the All Time Chiefs that cross over to the Chiefs HOF set, I'm using those given examples. They were a good selection of cards, and it just makes sense. With the remaining members, I'm putting my list of what I came up with. I'm thinking that the weights for the All Time set would also copy over nicely. My lists below show the weights to the far right of each card. I'm sure there are going to be different opinions on the weights, so lets put our heads together and see if we can came up with a finished product here.

Cards that cross over from the All Time Set:

Abner Haynes - 1960 Fleer #73 - 2.5
Hank Stram - 1960 Fleer #116 - 4
Johnny Robinson - 1961 Fleer #202 - 2.5
EJ Holub - 1962 Fleer #30 - 2
Jerry Mays - 1962 Fleer #31 - 2.5
Len Dawson - 1963 Fleer #47 - 10
Fred Arbanas - 1963 Fleer #50 - 2
Bobby Bell - 1964 Topps #90 - 3
Buck Buchanan - 1964 Topps #92 - 3
Ed Budde - 1964 Topps #93 - 1
Jim Tyrer - 1964 Topps #108 - 2
Otis Taylor - 1966 Topps #75 - 3
Jan Stenerud - 1970 Topps #25 - 2.5
Willie Lanier - 1971 Topps #114 - 1
Emmitt Thomas - 1972 Topps #157 - 1
Nick Lowery - 1981 Topps #213 - 1
Art Still - 1981 Topps #310 - 1
Deron Cherry - 1984 Topps #89 - 1
Christian Okoye - 1988 Topps #363 - 1
Derrick Thomas - 1989 Score #258 - 1
Neil Smith - 1989 Score #407S - 1

Cards that are new suggestions, since these players dont appear in the All Time Chiefs Set:

Sherrill Headrick - 1960 Fleer #59 - 2.5
Chris Burford - 1961 Fleer #204 - 2.5
Curtis McClinton - 1963 Fleer #45 - 2
Dave Hill - 1965 Topps #102 - 2.5
Jerrell Wilson - 1969 Topps #252 - 1
Jim Lynch - 1970 Topps #51 - 1
Mike Garrett - 1970 Topps #179 - 1
Ed Podolak - 1972 Topps #82 - 1
Jack Rudnay - 1973 Topps #57 - 1
Curley Culp - 1973 Topps #167 - 1
Lamar Hunt - 1975 Fleer #30 - 1
Gary Spani - 1981 Chiefs Police w/Whitney Paul - 1
Joe Delaney - 1982 Topps #112 - 1
Albert Lewis - 1986 Topps #312 - 1
Lloyd Burress - 1987 Topps #170 - 1
John Alt - 1990 Fleer #197 - 1

Members of the Chiefs HOF that I couldn't find a cardboard example of:

Jack Steadman
Mack Lee Hill

Cards that are in the All Time Chiefs set that get pruned off (only a matter of time before they are back in though):

Will Shields - 1993 SP #123 - 1
Tony Gonzalez - 1997 SP #11 - 1
Priest Holmes - 1998 Playoff Contenders Ticket #5 - 3

The Lamar Hunt card I have was the earliest example I could find for him, so I guess technically that is going to be his "rookie card". I would normally prefer a mainstream issue, but for Gary Spani, that was the only example I could find. If I missed something, let me know. If there are changes that need to be made, please throw in your 2 cents. I want this to be a set for us Chiefs fans to build and have fun with. And the John Alt card, none of the his rookies really stand out, so I went with the Fleer just because I thought it was the better looking card of what I came up with.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Comments

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a glaring ommision is the 1961 Fleer Johnny Robinson.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • ndwsndws Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Nope, its on there. It was part of the All Time set.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hi ndws,

The easiest thing to do is join the All-Time Chiefs set and then e-mail PSA with the suggestion of adding the players you want. It will then be put up for a vote of all the members of the All-Time Chiefs set.
    Here is my set:

recbball

PSA won't allow the addition of non-rookie cards according to Beckett's website.
    These two cards would have a hard time being added:
    Lamar Hunt - 1975 Fleer #30 - 1
    Gary Spani - 1981 Chiefs Police w/Whitney Paul - 1

Here's Beckett's web site if you want to look up any RC's

Beckett

Good luck,
    Tom
    Tom,

I'm in on the All Time set, although I'm not too far up the list. I'm currently at 50% and in 11th place, but I have a couple cards not here yet that will move me up a bit, and I still need to get some crossed over and/or submitted. I thought about putting up a vote on just adding the players, but in my opinion by having 3 players not in the Ring of Honor makes the set inaccurate (since that would ultimately be the criteria for adding the other players). Its safe to say that its just a matter of time before Shields, Gonzalez, and Holmes make it however. Decision, decisions. You may be right though, I think it would be easier to just do that.

I was definitely mistaken on the Lamar Hunt and Gary Spani cards, although I kind of figured if I had something wrong it was going to be with those issues. Am I looking at this correctly, and thinking that the Hunt should be the 1974 Fleer instead? I wasn't even aware of the 74 issue. I can't imagine they would want the Franklin Mint issues from 72-74 that I see on the Beckett site. And for Spani, will one the Police issues work? There are multiple 1980 issues (didn't realize that either), so what do you think on that? Which one would be the best choice? Again, I didn't know he appeared prior to 1981, so thats good to know. My concern about this is with players like Curley Culp, because I know he was on at least 1 card prior to his 73 Topps. Does mainstream trump all, when it comes to selecting cards for the set? What I mean is, should his 1973 Topps be "the card" instead of say, his 1971 Kellogg's? I think he may have even been on a 1971 Dell's card, but I'm just spitballing now. Haven't looked it up to say for certain.

Thanks for posting to the thread. You have a great set, and in first place no less image

Nathan
    And if you have any insight on Jack Steadman or Mack Lee Hill, that would be VERY helpful.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Nathan,

For the all-time sets I belive PSA is only going with cards that have rookie cards recognized by beckett.
    For example when I put together the all-time seahawks team the best card I could come up with for Michael Sinclair was a '92 Wild Card that was not deemed his RC by beckett. PSA would not add the card.

Tom
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Check out the packers hof set that is up. PSA will let you put the cards in you want. Troy and I started the set. We stopped at having Police type cards or commerative type cards (team issued). That was just something that we did on our own. So not every member of the Packer HOF is included. We tried to keep it to main stream issues. Fleer HOF sets from the mid 70's and Touchdown Club cards were included as they are relative easy to track down. The point was that we wanted this to be a "fan" type set. Yes there are lots of big cards with Starr, Hornung, Hutson RC's. But after that many cards are easy to find. Some people only like RC's in these sets others dont mind. Their 10 sets now about about 1.5 years being live. And whats funny, is that some of the people that we emailed about the set, and said they probably wouldnt be interested, have jumped in. We also wanted the cards to be from players after they joined the packers if they werent drafted by them. so, some one like reggie white we picked his 93 SP instead of his USFL or 87 Topps.

PSA will put it in the HOF category. The key thing with this set is that PSA likes that the players are chosen by an outside source. Then a vote is done on the RC to include.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

How about Elvis Grbac image
    I'm actually leaning towards Todd Blackledge over Grbac. After all, he was better than Marino, or Kelly, or O'Brien, or even Eason. We did pick him over those guys after all.

Ah who are we kidding, Lynn Elliot is the real overlooked hero in KC.
    There has been some activity on the All Time Chiefs set recently with additions, and my question to those that are voting, why vote against members of the Chiefs Hall of Fame? It is an All Time Chiefs set after all, and I would think thats as good of a qualification as any. Just curious.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Several teams have both an All-Time set and a Team Hall of Fame set. Many times a player will be elected to a team's Hall of Fame based upon something he did beyond his play. Or even as a tribute. Mack Lee Hill, for example, played less than two seasons. Most people would not have any interest in putting him in an all-time team set, since he gained a total of only about 1200 yards. But, the Chiefs honored him for his memory and the fact that he passed so young. Also, if you notice, most of the collectors of the All-Time team sets are collecting a lot of them, not just the Chiefs. They are less likely to vote for players they have never heard of, or that are not big names outside of Kansas City. So why not start the Chiefs Hall of Fame set yourself? I'm sure diehard Chiefs fans would gladly participate with you.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    Of the members that were up for vote, I don't think there were any "gimmick" inductees...but I may just try to put together a HOF set instead, which is too bad because it would nearly parallel what is there for the All Time team. Such is life I guess.