Home Metal Detecting

1925 Buffalo, another IHC (1907), and locket-like "whatsit" UPDATE: It's a "bed bolt

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Went to the same spot yesterday where I found the barber quarter and IHCs. Picked up another IHC - quite worn (and green) as well. This one's a 1907. First signal for the day was actually the Buffalo. Good way to start.

One of the town selectmen stopped by and tried telling me that I could not detect on town land. That what I was doing was digging holes. "Can you imagine 20 people digging holes like this all around town?"

I politely explained to him that I spoke with a town police officer previously and that he said there was no ordinance against metal detecting on town property, and also that digging holes is part of detecting. I explained that my goal is to "leave it just like I found it." He could also see that I cut a decent plug and put excess dirt on a piece of cloth for easy cleanup.

His story then changed. He then didn't know if there was any ordinance against detecting and that HE personally didn't have an issue with me being out there. He then tried helping me find places to search in town, haha. He said next time to stop by the town office for permission. I'm not sure why. But it goes to show, always know the governing laws before detecting.

Not sure if he was bluffing at first or what, but boy did he change his story in the middle, haha!

This last piece was found in a different town and it could be anywhere from the early 1800s to today based on other finds in that area. Any idea what it could be? Looks like it was two pieces and one of them is missing. Nice little sun/flower design on it. My guess is that it's copper.

Update: Yup, first thing I thought of too... a bed bolt cover, haha.

Yes, I'll put some moisture cream on. I was out there digging all weekend!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds. Moisture cream? That is a new one... you use it to clean coins/medals etc? What method? RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice finds. Moisture cream? That is a new one... you use it to clean coins/medals etc? What method? RickO >>

I meant cream on my hands, haha. I've actually never tried it on coins, etc.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse of that Buffalo nickel appears to be struck off-center....shifted to the north. Does the obverse have the same shift?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'll be darned...never even knew there was such a thing. Cheers, RickO