Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Poll: Which British Coin is the most overrated "rarity?"

I'm willing to add 2-3 more. These are my favorite candidates...
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I went with the Gothic Crown from your list, but I would be willing to add any year Gothic Florin, they seem priced way above what their rarity warrents.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rarity is a very difficult term to apply because many people may want it.

I believe the 1847 Gothic Crown and the Godless Florin would be my choices... I still believe the 1869 Penny is very tough as I have only owned 2. The 1951 Penny is overrated, but it is a 100 dollar coin at best so there is not a big down side with that coin.

There was a Gothic Crown that auctioned for a huge sum afew years ago and if I recall correctly it was 32k. Sorry, but that strikes me as being alittlr high

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '51 penny, most of them never circulated - but seriously I did find one in a bag of English pennies several years ago.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I had to vote for the 1951 Penny, I have owned a slew of them.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I also voted for the 1951 penny. Heck, I gave one to DBSTrader2 for his Whitman folders. I think I also gave another one away to someone else on these boards.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    For sheer overratedness, the 1951 1d is laughable. image <<< See, I'm laughing.

Where money is involved, the Gothic crown is a cousin to the 1909-S VDB. Those wiped and near-gem Gothics are a dime a dozen, and as CK alluded, the true gems are not "worth" over $8-10k, much less $32k+.

As to truly gem Gothic florins, I'll gladly pay 20% back of the current market for any rock solid PCGS MS65 standard, or better. And, any later date Victoria young head half crown in true MS64+++ or better are near impossible to obtain. There are a lot of MS63 dipped and stripped 'wannabees', but very, very few 64+ 1/2 crowns which are legit, IMHO.

Gem Vic copper is also stupid cheap, especially sans spots, stains, fingerprints, etal.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the 1951 penny is not a rarity and so could not vote for it. Especially since those doggoned Gothic Crowns go for money in excess of their value in my opinion, no matter the fact that they still sell. I really really like nice Victoria silver and still do not have one, nor probably will I.

1849 Gothic florin has never really been touted as a rarity so do not think it overhyped.
    1869 penny is not as rare (IMO) in ANY grade as some of the other Vicky copper but is still is a fairly rare bit in GEF and nicer.
    1918 H/KN pennies ARE fairly scarce to rare in the higher grades respectively.

The 1934 Wreath is fairly scarce but has variously been a bit overrated. Still, what can you say about a coin with a stated 932 mintage? BTW, I seriously doubt many of the Wreaths of this date and others listed and even TPG graded as "Proof" (save for the 1927).

1937 5 Pounds gold overrated.
    1887 and 1893 2 pounds and 5 pounds in proof - why do these go for such money, even though there were few minted I don't think there are many collectors...

Overall, IMO, the scarce to rare GB bits are NOT overrated or priced, but confess to being biassed. Choice Vicky Gothic florins as per Mac are NOT less rare or overrated. I might have to fight him over a few....Psych! Maybe on an upgrade or two though...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '51 1d. Over hyped as being rare when it isn't.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too went with the 1951 penny, which is the only item from the list I've owned. There were three UNC examples in a bulk lot I bought once. Granted, it wasn't your everyday bulk lot, and is one of the ones that sticks in the memory, but...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to agree with the majority on the '51 penny - you can find them in BUFL even in stores that have little or no other world coin stock.

I'm surprised no one voted for the 1869 penny. It's certainly tricky but I know there are several folks out there who are holding multiple examples of these in top grade. I also see a lot of midgrade pieces for sale at alsmost any given time, making me wonder why 1868, 1870 and 1871 aren't considered even more difficult to get. BTW, Freeman rarities are as follows:

The pennies at and around 1869:
    1867 R7
    1868 R8
    1869 R11
    1870 R6
    1871 R8

The H and KN pennies of George V:
    1912H C8 (claims of scarcity/rarity are way overrated!!)
    1918H C
    1918 KN N
    1919 H C2
    1919 KN R2

1951 R4

Unfortunately, these figures are based on populations in all readable date grades, so are not representative of rarity in high grade.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that would be true and especially with a coin like the 1919H penny - try finding a really nice and well struck specimen. I still think most collectors of more recent vintage (and nothing against the rest of us geezers) don't really think of the 1951 penny as a rarity and don't really care about it at all & think the notion of perceived rarity is from many years previously (i.e. 1950s -1970s). This is why I did not vote for it, besides the fact that it does not bring any kind of price.

I want to vote for Gothic Crown again.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    And of course we shouldn't forget about the most overrated rarity of modern times the undated 20p image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    And of course we shouldn't forget about the most overrated rarity of modern times the undated 20p

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, you left out Una.

Minted to order for 48 years; not rare........just pricey.

Consider this my second vote for the Gothic Crown. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went back and voted for the 1951 1d- even though I do not consider it a rarity- in red UNC, it remains a $100 coin if it is nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    The Gothic Crown - beautiful coin, but you can always get a nice example for enough cash. A lot of the supposedly rare twentieth century pennies and silver threepences show up pretty often in junk boxes.