Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Would PSA grade this???

Michael Jordan's First "Card"!

With a $1500.00 BIN I'm quite tempted so could someone let me know if PSA grades these "Cards".

Seller describes as...

MICHAEL JORDAN rare first card Wichita Eagle Beacon '84 This card! Is the very first MICHAEL JORDAN card ever made! Before Fleer..... before Star....... this is the very first rookie card of His Airness. This is the card only found in the Wichita Eagle Beacon newspaper, dated February 1984. Also on this uncut card sheet, you will find the great professional tennis player Chris Evert Lloyd and PGA Golfer Jim Colbert. This item was obtained for a professional card dealer a very long time years ago for big money because it is so perfect. It came already shrink wrapped with a card board backing to protect it. Interesting, the dealer did not cut out the card around Jordan, he kept that part mint and only cut below the individuals on the page. Hence, this card is virtually mint! If graded as is or cut down to just Jordan, the card would grade very high by BGS or PSA. You in increase the return on your investment just be getting this graded. I cannot bring myself to cut this down just to Jordan, it's perfect the way it is. However, you can win it and do whatever you want.

The only problem I see is that it is not a card image ...just a newspaper clipping, gotta give the guy an A for effort with the job he does trying o sell this thing, lol.

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if PSA grades them or not, but in 1983 and 1984 when the Wichita Eagle Beacon ran these cards, there was a line under them that read something like:

"Clip and save these bubblegumless cards."

It's a pretty nice piece in my opinion.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a pretty nice piece in my opinion. >>

That sounds like a BunchOBull!
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if PSA will grade it, but it's a neat and obscure piece to collect. I have the panel with Nolan Ryan on it.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That sounds like a BunchOBull! >>

Clever, really.

To each their own, but a lot of Jordan collectors want this card for their collections. Maybe not at that price, but they'd still like a copy.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

<< <i>

<< <i>

That sounds like a BunchOBull! >>

Clever, really.

To each their own, but a lot of Jordan collectors want this card for their collections. Maybe not at that price, but they'd still like a copy. >>

I'm just kidding around, if I was a big Jodan collector I would like to have it... just not at that price and I still wouldn't consider it in any way a card.

• << <i>gotta give the guy an A for effort with the job he does trying o sell this thing, lol. >>

No kidding geez, I just now scrolled down the page and noticed Jordans full life history. image

• Over half way to the original BIN. There's always something stinky about a private listing - bidders' identities protected auction, IMO.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a card, it's newspaper print.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Beckett does consider the baseball version to be "cards." They are listed in the player collections.

I remember when these came out and that my grandmother saved them all. She passed away about 12 years or so ago so I am pretty sure we don't have them anymore but I think one of my aunts/uncles has some of her paper stuff.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    not a card IMO but still pretty cool! I would pay $40 for one so I guess that takes me out of the running.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of whether it's a card, it's a pretty cool piece, imo.

I have no idea if PSA would grade it, but certainly one of the companies would slab it "authentic" if nothing else, right?
  • FWIW, PSA does grade the 1970 Dayton Daily News cards printed in that newspaper over the summer of that year.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Private Listing in this instance is a sure sign of SHILLING

Anyone that really had this item on their "want list" would not have gotten into a bidding war to drive the price up. I would bet my left marble that this is a shill job from start to finish.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
    wow, at $1k now, maybe the $1500 wasn't as crazy as I thought! Does UNC Jordan stuff sell this high? The piece is from 1984, what would a 1981 clipping or program sell for?
  • Sometimes it's best to click the buy it now. image

Winning bid: US $2,125.00

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not a card, it's newspaper print. >>

I strongly agree. I hope PSA would not grade this. First, it was 7-11 coins added the master sets, then discs, then milk cartons......If a newspaper clipping finds its way into the master sets, God help us.

Its a neat "thing" to own, but lets not kid ourselves and call it a card.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

• << <i>

I strongly agree. I hope PSA would not grade this. First, it was 7-11 coins added the master sets, then discs, then milk cartons......If a newspaper clipping finds its way into the master sets, God help us.

Its a neat "thing" to own, but lets not kid ourselves and call it a card. >>

I would consider it a card. Sure it is not printed on "cardboard" but many cards are not. Would one consider Collector's Edge not cards because they are plastic? Are the various inserts printed on wood or metal not cards? There are many examples like this and I think almost all would consider them cards.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Its a neat "thing" to own, but lets not kid ourselves and call it a card. >>

I would consider it a card. Sure it is not printed on "cardboard" but many cards are not. Would one consider Collector's Edge not cards because they are plastic? Are the various inserts printed on wood or metal not cards? There are many examples like this and I think almost all would consider them cards. >>

except this was a picture in a newspaper, literally.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not a card and not worth 2k+ IMO.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭