Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Apmex July sale

Last July Apmex had a everything under $10 sale. Here are 4 of the coins I purchased then.

Today I was able to image these with my new Macro Lens. I'm fairly new at this, what do you think ?

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, the new lens seems to working well.
  • Options
    Hi ya Steve,
    May i ask you what is your light source? The White balance is off, except for the last two.

Maybe they're not daylight lamps 5,500k.

Joe.
    BourseChair 3rd Sunday Coin Show
    www.ftlauderdalecoinclub.com
    www.magicvisionphoto.com
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Hi Joe,

How have you been?

The coins are actually very close to that color in hand.

The 50 Centavo piece has a purple tint that is hard to capture.
    All but the Columbian piece, are toned.

I used the same two 5500k light for all the pics. I repositioned the lights for each coin in an
    attempt to capture the coin as they look in hand.

Now that I look at them again, I think I moved the lights further away for the toned coins, which
    allowed for more of the incandescent lighting that was in ceiling to come through.

Interesting, that when you look at the background granite, it doesn't look like a consistent wb.

Regardless, I shot them multiple times until I got them to look very much like they do in hand.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    Yeah the slow shutterspeed used when you light with small low wattage lamps. Does allow ambient room lights to intrude in your shots.

I usually place a neutral grey background paper underneath my coins, or black. So in photoshop i can white balance in Levels with the center eyedropper tool.

My usual lighting consist of nothing more than a north facing sliding glass door. For beautiful soft natural light. With silver mirrors or reflectors to kick in fill.

Nice catching you on here.

BTW we have our monthly coin show this Sunday 20th. Maybe we'll see ya there.
    Joe.
    BourseChair 3rd Sunday Coin Show
    www.ftlauderdalecoinclub.com
    www.magicvisionphoto.com
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I hope to make it to the show.

It depends on if I can finish my Honey-Do list.