Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anybody win at the Heritage Sale?

I went 1 for 5, got this one for under double the estimate, the 1871 Bavaria Taler in 66.

Overall I saw quite a lot of stuff going for under estimate, although most of it seemed to be raw or middle grade pieces. Their did seem to be some bargains available, just not in the areas I was bidding on.

Comments

• Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    ofer ................0 out of 3
    My kind of world gold is still on fire and unfortunately I don't have enough water to fight it. image

btw ... Super Taler, Houston
  • French coins hit some very, very strong prices. I didn't bid on anything, but was watching.
  • I went 0 for 2. The prices on nice material ( not the blow your mind stuff) was sometimes STUPID! Maybe it's time to sell?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    0 for 2, I made two strong bids on British coins and I wasn't even close. Both were nice gem pieces, both exceeded high estimate. That is a nice looking Taler with a cool looking reverse.
  • I spent entirely too much money on two of the coins I really wanted.

I had saved up and set aside some money for Canadian material for my registry set but nothing
    there that I really needed.

So, naturally, instead of holding on to it for a later auction, I blew it on some British coins
    that I DIDN'T need image

This is one of them....

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazingly, I only got this one. The market remains on fire! At least it was something I wanted for my own collection, not for resale.

I was also pleased to learn after the sale that this coin, along with many of the other Chilean pieces in the sale, had previously been in Medina's collection. It doesn't get much better than that!

imageimage
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time to sell?

Depends. What's your goal?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one Salzburg Taler which I will post. Overall prices are out of control. Sign of a chaos in the financial markets in my view.
  • Just talking trash, Andy. I'm in for the long haul!
    BTW, excellent pickup!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Granted I probably paid too much. But when you look at it, the supply is DEFINITELY limited on the issues we're
    talking about, coins have a better track record than the stock market and, certainly after the recent mortgage
    debacle, real estate.

Besides, there's the fun of putting together a nice portfolio of something you can actually look at and enjoy
    as opposed to some electronic blips on some stock broker's computer screen, right image

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a 1723 Swiss taler from Geneva to add to my collection. Looks nice for an old NGC EF-45 holder.

imageimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The early returns suggest I have been declared the winner in one auction...

I anticipate a recount once the shock wears off...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The last few years the September Long Beach auction was the only auction in which Heritage listed Conder tokens (except for the usual suspects listed in the Red Book). This year - nada. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nothing in this particular offering really interested me, so 0 for 0.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1781 Hieronymus. Count Von Colloredo-Waldsee (1772-1803) Taler NGC MS-62

Highly toned, reverse has very strong detail. I did not come close with my other bids.